Computer Arts - art portfolio help? Watch

doubt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm hoping to apply to abertay's computer arts course but I'm a bit confused.
For the art portfolio, do I send that to abertay while I apply for the course through UCAS or do I only bring it with me if I get an interview?

And does anyone have a rough idea what I need to include in my portfolio? Do all the drawings need to be from direct observation? Am I allowed to include anything like character designs or sketches, or does it need to all be realism?

any help would be great thanks!!
AbertayUni
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, my name is Claire and I am Marketing and Recruitment Assistant here at Abertay. Firstly, apologies for the delay in responding to this query. I have checked with the School of Arts, Media and Computer Games and they have confirmed that you are no longer required to submit a portfolio when applying for Computer Arts. I hope this is helpful to you and if you require any further assistance please don't hesitate to get in touch.
pollysgone
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I can't believe they don't need a portfolio from you. If you don't need to send one in, my advice is to have one ready for interview just in case! Even if they say they don't need one, it would definitely increase your chances.

As for portfolio content, there are a few people who might do your interview (all really nice and friendly) and each person has their own preferences for what they like to see. Realism is great and all, but creativity and imagination are what they value most at Abertay and love to see a lot of that. They are especially heavy on sketchbooks, as for the first year alone you will fill about 5 or 6 sketchbooks.

If you have ever dabbled in any digital software, such as Photoshop/ Illustrator/ Flash, then throw that in too, 'cause those are what you'll be using in the course.

Just be as creative as possible and you will stand a very good chance
doubt
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by pollysgone)
I can't believe they don't need a portfolio from you. If you don't need to send one in, my advice is to have one ready for interview just in case! Even if they say they don't need one, it would definitely increase your chances.

As for portfolio content, there are a few people who might do your interview (all really nice and friendly) and each person has their own preferences for what they like to see. Realism is great and all, but creativity and imagination are what they value most at Abertay and love to see a lot of that. They are especially heavy on sketchbooks, as for the first year alone you will fill about 5 or 6 sketchbooks.

If you have ever dabbled in any digital software, such as Photoshop/ Illustrator/ Flash, then throw that in too, 'cause those are what you'll be using in the course.

Just be as creative as possible and you will stand a very good chance
thanks for replying with so much info! i have actually already received an offer for the course without an interview or a portfolio so i guess that it wasn't needed - i was quite surprised at this too! however i am still creating a portfolio in my spare time for preparation for university, although my exams are coming up pretty soon and i don't spend as much time on drawing as i'd like too. i'm pretty familiar with photoshop and paint tool sai... no experience with anything like maya or flash yet though! but thank you a lot for the advice! i'll be sure to try and produce a lot more creative work!

also are you by any chance doing the computer arts course at abertay? if you are, if you don't mind me asking hahah, how do find it so far? i'd be very interested to know
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (56)
5.72%
Fairly positive (304)
31.05%
Just another year... (387)
39.53%
Is it 2020 yet? (232)
23.7%

Watched Threads