Need HELP: should i do a sandwich or 3 year degree? Watch

Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'm applying for an economics degree but i don't know if i should do a 3 year degree or a sandwich degree, i would like to do a master degree once i finish my undergrad but if a do sandwich degree I'll be 23 once a got my master or if i work and do it part time then 24 where as if i do a 3 year degree and do a masters I'll be 22

will employees value a sandwich degree more than having a master 's as you will have more experience or will they value having master degree more important

i.e. i want to get my degree and getting into work as early as i can, i really don't want to be in my mid 20s still in education

but i really can't decide what i should do
theengineer1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It really doesn't matter. I don't know why universities advertise sandwich degrees. Anyone on a regular three year course can turn it into a sandwich degree- they find their placement, tell the university and the university won't stop you. Though double check with the uni first)

If you enrol in a sandwich degree, you're still responsible for finding your own placement, often with minimal support from the university, then if you don't find a placement, you transfer back onto the normal three year course

It's only if your placement year replaces a year of study (they're uncommon- I've only seen them for MChem Chemistry), that's when they're distinct from the normal course.
suleyman95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sandwiches sound worth it. You make money whilst still a student and many people on sandwich courses get their first job after graduating with the company that hosted their placement.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Also is there any point doing a masters if a do a sandwich degree
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=theengineer1;45198420]It really doesn't matter. I don't know why universities advertise sandwich degrees. Anyone on a regular three year course can turn it into a sandwich degree- they find their placement, tell the university and the university won't stop you. Though double check with the uni first)

So are you saying if i do a 3 year degree and later on i wanted to do a 1 year of work placement i can turn it into a sandwich degree if i find a work placement that is
theengineer1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pretty much. Secure your placement, tell the uni you're taking a year out and off you go. I'm on placement at the moment, was on a four year MEng before. Got my placement, told my tutor and the careers service, filled out some forms (they like to have your employer's details) and that was about it.

Even get 'with employment experience' added onto my degree at the end of it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (189)
22.74%
The paper was reasonable (383)
46.09%
Not feeling great about that exam... (154)
18.53%
It was TERRIBLE (105)
12.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed