Best Route Into Investment Banking!!! Watch

Charles12321
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Okay I Am Currently Doing My A-Levels

As Levels (Did 5, Thought I'd Be A Doctor JUst In Case)
Maths-A
Further Maths -A
Economics- A
Biology-A
Chemistry - A

Predicted
Maths-A*
Further Maths-A*
Economics- a

I Wanted To Know The Best Career Path TO Take To Become A Top Investment Banker That Includes

Best Uni To Go TO -And What Degree TO Study
After Uni Whether I Should Become An Analyst Or Do A Mba

If or When I Do a mba Which School Is The Best TO Do A Mba In

If I Should Work As An Analyst First For How Long Ect
a443s
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oxbridge - preferably Cambridge - Economics. More importantly, get a good grade. Otherwise they probably won't care if you're from Cambridge or Anglia Ruskin.

Not after, but during uni.....do a spring week, with the view to getting selected for the summer internship

Do a summer internship, with the aim of being offered a full time position.

Alternatively you can apply for a full time analyst role after uni, but it's very hard to get a job this way as most offers are made via the summer internship.

There are very few places where you can do an MBA straight out of university, most of them need you to have work experience for a couple of years. That aside, I would say Harvard is probably the best place for an MBA.

As for being a 'Top Investment Banker', this would take years and years of experience, hard work, and a natural aptitude for the profession. Having interned at banks before, I can tell you that the image the media gives of 20somethings earning 7 figure sums is untrue. Only a select few earn the big bucks, and these are (the very few) people who have stuck with the organisation from the beginning. Nearly all the ones I knew of were in their late 30s or above.
benq
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The best route to career in Investment Banking:

Any subjects but preferably Economics at any of Oxford/Cambridge/LSE/UCL/Imperial -> Spring Week while at university -> Internship at the end of the second year -> Analyst at GS/JPM/MS/etc -> MBA at H/S/W or if can't get into any of these then Booth/Sloan/Columbia/Tuck -> Associate at an IB -> VP -> MD -> :cool:
Commercial Paper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by benq)
The best route to career in Investment Banking:

Any subjects but preferably Economics at any of Oxford/Cambridge/LSE/UCL/Imperial -> Spring Week while at university -> Internship at the end of the second year -> Analyst at GS/JPM/MS/etc -> MBA at H/S/W or if can't get into any of these then Booth/Sloan/Columbia/Tuck -> Associate at an IB -> VP -> MD -> :cool:
Even before any of that, I'd also apply to bank insight programmes for A Level students as it will give you exposure; you'll be able to meet people who can help you with what is written above along the way. Also, RBS do try and fast track A Level kids through to Spring Weeks now where possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
benq
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by will2348)
Even before any of that, I'd also apply to bank insight programmes for A Level students as it will give you exposure; you'll be able to meet people who can help you with what is written above along the way. Also, RBS do try and fast track A Level kids through to Spring Weeks now where possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats a good point actually. Try to get as many A-level placements as possible because it will show your interest in the industry.
Charles12321
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
How Much Would It Cost To Go Do A Mba In Havard?
benq
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Charles12321)
How Much Would It Cost To Go Do A Mba In Havard?
$150k+ including living costs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.52%
The paper was reasonable (390)
45.99%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (110)
12.97%

Watched Threads