Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    Sorry to bother you with yet more Travel Grant questions!
    I've just had my Travel Grant "results" back and there's a few things I've not being reimbursed for.
    One is my Health Insurance from Japan. The advice says I need this translating into English. Would it be acceptable for a Japanese lecturer from my university to translate the documents? Or do I need to pay a professional translation service?

    The letter also stated that I'd be sent a new updated notice of entitlement. What does this mean? Will I automatically get a new Travel Grant Form to resubmit my claim with the extra evidence?

    Also, do I have to pay the £303 twice? And when do I get paid? The letter says how much I've been assessed as entitled to, but doesn't make it clear whether I'm getting paid that sum now, or after a reassessment?

    How are the exchange rates decided? I sent Student Finance the receipts in the foreign currency, but I stated how much this had cost me in GBP at the time of purchase. The letter stated that Student Finance used the 12/13 rates to determine the exchange rate. But I've been given £50 less for my bus tickets than I actually paid at the time? So how does this work? It seems student finance is using an exchange rate of £1 = 144 yen, but the rate was 1:118 when I moved to Japan and 1:145 when I came home (1:140 at the time of my last purchase). Why have you not taken into account the poorer exchange rate at the start of the academic year?

    Thank you
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there,

    Can you direct message me your customer reference number please?


University open days

  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.