Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm a 2nd year LLB student and on a bit of a downer with uni. Loved it last year but it seems there's so many things getting me down this year:

1. There's only two modules I actually enjoy
    2. Keep being reminded of the harsh competition for TCs. I live in a rural area so there's 4 TC's a year I know about within a 40 mile radius.
    3. Uni lecturer likes to belittle us all the time 'oh when I was studying I got 98% in my land module and held 4 jobs down at the same time'.
    4. Workload is getting impossible
    5. Even getting work experience is proving impossible!

I know we've been told that second year for our course is horrific, but third year is better than 1st year apparently, so that's keeping me going. I just feel that I'm working towards something that's impossible (i.e. being a solicitor).

Just wondered if it's a general thing that happens to second years. I know one of my friends did nursing and she said for about 6 months in second year she was really doubting herself.

Anyone gone through the same thing and have any advice?

(Original post by sph93)
    Hello,

I'm a 2nd year LLB student and on a bit of a downer with uni. Loved it last year but it seems there's so many things getting me down this year:

1. There's only two modules I actually enjoy
    2. Keep being reminded of the harsh competition for TCs. I live in a rural area so there's 4 TC's a year I know about within a 40 mile radius.
    3. Uni lecturer likes to belittle us all the time 'oh when I was studying I got 98% in my land module and held 4 jobs down at the same time'.
    4. Workload is getting impossible
    5. Even getting work experience is proving impossible!

I know we've been told that second year for our course is horrific, but third year is better than 1st year apparently, so that's keeping me going. I just feel that I'm working towards something that's impossible (i.e. being a solicitor).

Just wondered if it's a general thing that happens to second years. I know one of my friends did nursing and she said for about 6 months in second year she was really doubting herself.

Anyone gone through the same thing and have any advice?
    Given that it's 2am I'm not in the right mindset to respond with the in-depth reply that this question deserves.

However, I will say that it's perfectly normal because the novelty of being a fresher has worn off but the end of your degree isn't in sight yet. There's also the stress of vac scheme/TC apps on top of an increased workload.

Don't let competition for VSs dishearten you though. I know of people who've gotten top TCs without reams of work experience on their CV - and it's also worth bearing in mind that competition for VSs is more fierce than for TCs because the "good" candidates can do several VSs...but they can only accept one TC, so there are more spaces to go around. I'd also not stress over apps too much; there's a formula to them and you can refine them as you go, so as long as you keep banging them out it's possible to "brute force" your way into getting at least a couple of interviews out of the process.

You also mention that you're in a rural area - this will make applying for TCs difficult, but have you considered trying to shadow barristers (even if only to say you don't want to go to the Bar in your TC apps)? Since barristers are self-employed there's more scope for them to offer informal shadowing throughout the year whenever it suits them, unlike the formal VS/TC cycle that law firms have.

It's tough, but stick at it - and don't be tempted to devote a disproportionate amount of your time to the subjects you enjoy. You'll never get a 2.1 if you get firsts in those two and thirds in the others.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Damn straight. I've got a metric ****-tonne of uni work to complete within the coming weeks, and I'm still being massively pressured to send out CVs for both part-time work to pay the bills and for full-time work for my placement next year. People keep inviting me down to the pub and out to go clubbing and I just think, "how can you afford to do this?".
    We also have a module that the vast majority of students are behind on at the moment, and that work is meant to be in within 2 weeks. I've done nothing - we read through the entire spec over and over and it makes less and less sense each time. We ask him what it means, and suddenly it's like we're learning Hebrew or something.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 19, 2013

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.