Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in first year at the minute, and my biology teacher briefly mentioned doing an EPQ and gave us some ideas of what people have done it on, however she didn't actually say what it was or if we were even able to complete one in the first year.

I've researched into it and found that it's an AQA 'stand-alone' qualification or can be used as part of a diploma course. And it will require 120 hours of guided learning hours. So I'm definitely not sure about it, and I'm just wondering about what topics you can do it on? I've seen Ethical ones such as 'how will we feed our Childrens children' then it goes on about population increase by the year 2050.

So could you do an EPQ on a biology-related topic, such as Stem cells or G-proteins? Then would that benefit a course at University, such as Medicine? Oh and I'm currently doing:

Further Maths
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry

AS levels. So I know it's probably far too soon to even think about an EPQ, but I just wanted to information on it so I could see what's what and start having a look at doing enrichment for UCAS application (which is now under a year away!). Any help would be really appreciated.

- Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    An EPQ is essentially a long project around a subject of your choice. Personally I did mine on ways to solve the shortage of donor organs (and yes, they look very good on medical UCAS forms, and give you something to talk about in interviews). They'll vary slightly depending on what subject you do it in, but my one was a 6000 word essay-style thing and a 10 minute presentation of it. It's all very self-directed and, while you will have a teacher helping to guide you, you will be expected to do all your research and writing yourself.

You could definitely do a project around G proteins or stem cells, but you'd need to find a question you could ask about it (I started out like this too, wanting to write about organ donation and then doing some research to find an interesting topic).

A note about when to do it, it's best to have it well underway in time for UCAS and interviews and I did mine alongside 4 AS levels. You could maybe consider seeing if your school will let you start it in January?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    An EPQ is essentially a long project around a subject of your choice. Personally I did mine on ways to solve the shortage of donor organs (and yes, they look very good on medical UCAS forms, and give you something to talk about in interviews). They'll vary slightly depending on what subject you do it in, but my one was a 6000 word essay-style thing and a 10 minute presentation of it. It's all very self-directed and, while you will have a teacher helping to guide you, you will be expected to do all your research and writing yourself.

You could definitely do a project around G proteins or stem cells, but you'd need to find a question you could ask about it (I started out like this too, wanting to write about organ donation and then doing some research to find an interesting topic).

A note about when to do it, it's best to have it well underway in time for UCAS and interviews and I did mine alongside 4 AS levels. You could maybe consider seeing if your school will let you start it in January?
    Thank you! I was just in a bit of a panic since I've been looking through every Universities requirements for Medicine and looking at different case studies where you see an applicants GCSE/A Level Grades and whether they were accepted or not. And my GCSE grades just do not reach the standard that they should be, so I am completely focused on moving on from them and getting the best AS grades I can.

Did you start your EPQ in January also? I think the main issue would be that you need taught hours, so there will be work needed to be put in by the college aswell. Also, do you know if the grades are more restricted if you do an EPQ at AS? Since an A* can't be achieved in the first year, would the same be true if I were to do an EPQ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eskyy)
    Thank you! I was just in a bit of a panic since I've been looking through every Universities requirements for Medicine and looking at different case studies where you see an applicants GCSE/A Level Grades and whether they were accepted or not. And my GCSE grades just do not reach the standard that they should be, so I am completely focused on moving on from them and getting the best AS grades I can.

Did you start your EPQ in January also? I think the main issue would be that you need taught hours, so there will be work needed to be put in by the college aswell. Also, do you know if the grades are more restricted if you do an EPQ at AS? Since an A* can't be achieved in the first year, would the same be true if I were to do an EPQ?
    You can get an A* in EPQ whenever it's taken. I started mine in January, mostly due to staffing problems which meant that I couldn't start in September. Yes, it does need teaching hours which is why you would need to speak to your college about it, but there's no harm in asking!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    You can get an A* in EPQ whenever it's taken. I started mine in January, mostly due to staffing problems which meant that I couldn't start in September. Yes, it does need teaching hours which is why you would need to speak to your college about it, but there's no harm in asking!
    I'm researching it further, and I want to sort of 'present' this idea to my biology teacher; with a clear image on what it actually is, and even what I want my own to be based on. I feel that if I can get across a researched-base that would be invaluable in doing the EPQ, I could be taken more seriously and also may be able to do it this year; however the college I go to usually reserves them for second years who have already applied to university. So even if I can't do one this year, I know everybody get's the opportunity to do an EPQ in the second year.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.