Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    some qs on acid and base equilibiria:

1) i don't understand the principle of the "half volume method" to find the Ka . In the book , it states that in involves titrating until half of the molecules of the weak acid have reacted. the concentration of the weak acid molecules and its conjugate base ions are equal" How come the two concentrations are equal?
    HA--> H+ + A-
    Is it because when half of the total amount of HA is reacted, the remaning HA will dissociate into Hydrogen ion and A-, so A- and HA have the same concentration. but isn't it (the situation) the same when the HA has not been reacted?

2)why the ionic product of water must be 10^-14? and why this value can be applicable to other solution (acid and base)?

3)why for equimolar of acid and base, regardless of their strengths (strong /weak), same volume of solution is used to reach the equivalence point. what i originall thought was that for examplem, in weak acid-strong base reaction, though they are equimolar, but weak acid dissociates less in the aqueous solution, so more volume should be used to get the equivalence point? can someone explain this to me ?

Gonna have a chemistry test on monday, please help!!!
    Thank you soooooo much!!!!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Lamalam)
    some qs on acid and base equilibiria:

1) i don't understand the principle of the "half volume method" to find the Ka . In the book , it states that in involves titrating until half of the molecules of the weak acid have reacted. the concentration of the weak acid molecules and its conjugate base ions are equal" How come the two concentrations are equal?
    HA--> H+ + A-
    Is it because when half of the total amount of HA is reacted, the remaning HA will dissociate into Hydrogen ion and A-, so A- and HA have the same concentration. but isn't it (the situation) the same when the HA has not been reacted?

2)why the ionic product of water must be 10^-14? and why this value can be applicable to other solution (acid and base)?

3)why for equimolar of acid and base, regardless of their strengths (strong /weak), same volume of solution is used to reach the equivalence point. what i originall thought was that for examplem, in weak acid-strong base reaction, though they are equimolar, but weak acid dissociates less in the aqueous solution, so more volume should be used to get the equivalence point? can someone explain this to me ?

Gonna have a chemistry test on monday, please help!!!
    Thank you soooooo much!!!!

At the equivalence point all of the acid has reacted and produced salt.

Hence the moles of acid (originally) = moles of salt formed

When half the moles of acid (moles/2) have reacted they have also left behind half the moles of acid (moles/2) AND formed half the moles of salt (moles/2.

Hence moles of acid remaining = moles of salt formed

They are both in the same solution (volume must be the same), so:

[HA] = [A-]

At this point

[H+] = Ka

pH = pKa
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Actually it is not exactly true that at half volume [HA]=[A-]. While exactly half of the acid was neutralized, concentration of A- is always a little bit higher than that of HA, as acid dissociates on its own. But for most weak acids in typical solutions (not too diluted) [HA]=[A-] is a quite good approximation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    At the equivalence point all of the acid has reacted and produced salt.

Hence the moles of acid (originally) = moles of salt formed

When half the moles of acid (moles/2) have reacted they have also left behind half the moles of acid (moles/2) AND formed half the moles of salt (moles/2.

Hence moles of acid remaining = moles of salt formed

They are both in the same solution (volume must be the same), so:

[HA] = [A-]

At this point

[H+] = Ka

pH = pKa
    Thank you
    Could you explain q3 to me???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Lamalam)
    Thank you
    Could you explain q3 to me???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    While it is true that weak acids only dissociate by a small percentage, when the hydrogen ions on the RHS of the equilibrium react with a base they are removed from the equilibrium and the system must respond to make more by pushing the system to the RHS.

This process continues until all of the acid from the LHS has dissociated and the acid is completely used up.

Hence weak acids react stoichiometrically with bases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    While it is true that weak acids only dissociate by a small percentage, when the hydrogen ions on the RHS of the equilibrium react with a base they are removed from the equilibrium and the system must respond to make more by pushing the system to the RHS.

This process continues until all of the acid from the LHS has dissociated and the acid is completely used up.

Hence weak acids react stoichiometrically with bases.
    Thank you! )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 28, 2013

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.