Party later; and I know barely anyone.. Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So my best friend is having his 18th birthday party today, and I'm really happy to go and celebrate with him. The problem is, he goes to a different college to me and therefore I don't know the majority of the people who are going to it. I've always suffered with social anxiety and right now I'm feeling very anxious to go. On one hand i really want to celebrate, see him, and maybe drink a little bit. On the other, i don't want to just be sitting on a sofa awkwardly talking to know one, or following him around all night, or make a fool of myself because i've drunk to much. Do you guys have any advise on what to do? Thank you in advanced x
GeekChicc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Turn up dressed as a tomato. Then everyone will be forced to pay attention to you
theorangebox
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Introduce yourself with a smile to everyone you meet, talk clearly and ask about their lives. "What do you study?" "How do you know my friend?" etc are good questions to ask. Once you get through introductions, hopefully conversation topics should be apparent. For example, ask what their subject is like. Or if they're wearing a band tshirt, ask about it and what music they like. Stuff like that.

If stuff's not going well, escape to the bathroom. When you emerge, start again with a new person. Sometimes you just won't click with certain people. Don't be disheartened by that. Especially since it'll be hardest at the start when everyone's still sober and not warmed up. Persevere and you'll hopefully make some new friends by the end of the night.
Tai Ga
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just drink a lot. Then you'll be fine.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Tai Ga)
Just drink a lot. Then you'll be fine.
Yes because thats an amazing idea
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
That's the best kind of party! Get your friend to introduce you to someone, you may find that the conversation will flow, but I suppose it depends on who your friend introduces to you! For me the hardest part about going out is the bit just before I leave the house where I'm debating whether I really want to do it, or if there will be anything I can enjoy about the outing, but once I'm there a I have super phun thyme (usually), what about you?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by + polarity -)
That's the best kind of party! Get your friend to introduce you to someone, you may find that the conversation will flow, but I suppose it depends on who your friend introduces to you! For me the hardest part about going out is the bit just before I leave the house where I'm debating whether I really want to do it, or if there will be anything I can enjoy about the outing, but once I'm there a I have super phun thyme (usually), what about you?
I'm sort of the same; i usually make a few new friends at parties, but at those the majority of the people at them either go to my school or i know them in some way. This party i maybe know 2 people including the host..
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm sort of the same; i usually make a few new friends at parties, but at those the majority of the people at them either go to my school or i know them in some way. This party i maybe know 2 people including the host..
So is the fact that most of the people are strangers what is making you anxious?

I feel much better around strangers now than I used to, I think it's because I concluded that it's unlikely that I'll see them again any time soon, so if I'm talking to them and something does go wrong, I can just move on and it will have no effect on my life (though it will probably be scarred in my memory if it's really bad lol)
Precious Illusions
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Drink a bit before going. Not so that you're utterly sloshed but so that you're tipsy, you'll feel less nervous. And your friend will probably introduce you to people etc. I'm sure you'll meet a few people who you have common interests with, you might even make some new friends yourself out of it
hattiemcbinky
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You don't have to drink a lot, but just enough to get your confidence up a bit. I'm kind of the same in these situations and I hate trying to chat to new people, and usually I am super quiet, but wow the enormous change when I have a bit of drink in me, I become so much more chatty and it's so much easier to get people to like me haha.
sr90
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I always get invited to parties/nights out where I only know the person inviting me and never know if I should go or not. My worry is that i'll end up by myself but I don't think that has ever happened! Just cling to whoever you do know, they'll introduce you to a few people and then you're fine. Obviously it gets easier once you've had a few drinks.

I love going to friends birthdays as it's pretty much guaranteed i'll meet someone new.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Been there and done that. It turned out fine.

I didn't end up being by myself. He'd disappeared and I ended up talking to a friend of his for a bit.
McFlury
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Really having a few drinks straight away is the best thing to do, I have been at my friend's parties before and felt really awkward with their friends, but after a couple I'm fine.
techno-thriller
Badges: 14
Report 5 years ago
OP will have to let us know how it went
Bronco2012
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have a few drinks and it will loosen up a bit, you might even pull
wardah2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've been to a uni party where I knew absolutely no one.. Just make conversation with anyone- ok not literally anyone but I ended up speaking to loads of random people and now I'm friends with some of them and the night turned out really good
Anonymous #1
would just like you to know how it went: It went amazingly. I had a can or two before i went, and turns out some old people from primary school were there so there was something there! I drank through the night, danced talked to random people, it was amazing my confidence has been boosted immensely. Thank you all for your advise, i am truly thankful <3
Swanbow
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Drink a steady amount, so as not to end up too drunk but to maintain a good overall standard throughout the night. Aside from that just speak to him, relax and try to talk to other people. I'm sure he'll introduce you to some people anyway Anxiety can be a ball ache, but you often find that constantly thinking about the situation can be more anxious than actually being in it.
McFlury
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
would just like you to know how it went: It went amazingly. I had a can or two before i went, and turns out some old people from primary school were there so there was something there! I drank through the night, danced talked to random people, it was amazing my confidence has been boosted immensely. Thank you all for your advise, i am truly thankful <3
Good to hear man
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
30.17%
The paper was reasonable (255)
40.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (110)
17.38%
It was TERRIBLE (77)
12.16%

Watched Threads