The Student Room Group

Are ethnic minorities insecure about their British identity

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Nadheer_Ishak
Wow... I hate when people are like this. You are the type of person to go "please don't judge all muslims for what a small minority of extremists do" but then you turn around and say British culture is degenerate and filled with thugs and sluts basing this statement entirely off your experience of a small amount of British people from a rough council estate.

yeah-i'm such a hypocrite but if this makes you feel better, i was also basing my stereotype not just on my area but also Eastenders :rolleyes:

Original post by Nadheer_Ishak
They did not start slavery thank you very much. Arab slave traders where around enslaving christian and european peoples long before the British got involved.

hmmm, i guess nobody is perfect.
Reply 161
Original post by elohssa
Every man and his dog can be British - there is no requirement to speak English or behave a certain way. It means nothing. So being called British is like being compared to a dog.

oh I see, it's just a meaningless label right.
Reply 162
Original post by Almar
oh I see, it's just a meaningless label right.

Yea pretty much.
Original post by Almar

If I remember anything from my history classes in school, it was that the British were the first to come up with the idea of concentration camps during the Boer war in South Africa. It was also a British man Sir Francis Galton who wrote Hitler's favourite book on Eugenics and coined the term. His views I believe were widely accepted and he received many awards during his career including a knighthood and being made a fellow of the Royal Society in 1860.
Before the first world war Britain and Germany because of imperialism and militarism were engaged in an armed race, trying to show off which one was the better and more powerful country. They build up alliances across Europe that dragged everyone into a war so technically if they had been no imperialism, no war and no treaty maybe no Hitler.

Anywhere, what I'm pointing out is that Britain has not always been on the good side of freedom i.e. they started slavery and then they abolished it first, but they wouldn't have had to abolish it if they hadn't started it in the first place.

However, I still appreciate their effort, ifs and buts don't matter.
:tongue:

The stuff about British people being personal influences on Hitler is just fluff, you don't blame somebody's personal influences for their genocidal actions.

I'm astonished that you say Britain "started slavery". Not least because slavery has been going on for thousands of years (since the dawn of human history really), but also because Britain was not the only country or people to participate in the Atlantic slave trade. What about the African, Arab and other European slave traders? What about other slavers, like the Aztec imperialists? To think that Britain "started slavery" is to have a view of the world's history which is diametrically opposed to fact.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 164
Original post by felamaslen
The stuff about British people being personal influences on Hitler is just fluff, you don't blame somebody's personal influences for their genocidal actions.

I'm astonished that you say Britain "started slavery". Not least because slavery has been going on for thousands of years (since the dawn of human history really), but also because Britain was not the only country or people to participate in the Atlantic slave trade. What about the African, Arab and other European slave traders? What about other slavers, like the Aztec imperialists? To think that Britain "started slavery" is to have a view of the world's history which is diametrically opposed to fact.

it's not fluff- everyone has a tendency of believing what they read if they think it's from a credible source i.e. a text book- Hitler was definitely influenced by the science literature on Eugenics from the 19th century. He definitely used it to discriminate against what he called lesser people to preserve the more desirable genetics of the strong among the Aryan race. And what I said about the war, was that it was partly caused by imperialism and that if they had been no war, then they wouldn't not have been no treaty of Versailles, therefore perhaps no Hitler.
As for the slavery, I was talking about the Atlantic slave trade and how somehow Britain then thought it was okay to bring African slaves to work on their American colonies.
Original post by Almar
it's not fluff- everyone has a tendency of believing what they read if they think it's from a credible source i.e. a text book- Hitler was definitely influenced by the science literature on Eugenics from the 19th century. He definitely used it to discriminate against what he called lesser people to preserve the more desirable genetics of the strong among the Aryan race. And what I said about the war, was that it was partly caused by imperialism and that if they had been no war, then they wouldn't not have been no treaty of Versailles, therefore perhaps no Hitler.
As for the slavery, I was talking about the Atlantic slave trade and how somehow Britain then thought it was okay to bring African slaves to work on their American colonies.

Everybody back then thought that slavery was fine - well, everybody with any power, anyway. Britain was no exception, and to portray it as some kind of puppeteer, manipulating the world's people into selling each other into slavery, does not constitute genuine criticism, and is verging on racist. But Britain was the first to break free from this insanity, and that deserves credit.

I don't deny that had there been no First World War there would be no Hitler, of course that's true. I think the First World War was a monumental waste of lives, for very little if any gain. But that doesn't mean that Britain, or whoever implemented the treaty of Versailles, is responsible for Nazi barbarism. That lies with the Nazis themselves. And more to the point, it doesn't mean that we do away with the notion that the ideology which Britain has followed - even if they have been hypocritical in doing so - is more compatible with human rights than most others.
Reply 166
Original post by theoferdinand
You Caribbean bro ?

African
Original post by elohssa
Every man and his dog can be British - there is no requirement to speak English or behave a certain way. It means nothing. So being called British is like being compared to a dog.

I'm guessing you've never been through the application process for citizenship either!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sheldor
I'm guessing you've never been through the application process for citizenship either!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The process to getting British citizenship is dependant on whether you have the money or not, and passing an irrelevant test that a Frenchman could pass, if he was willing to memorise facts and figures from a book.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
Hahahahaha. Seriously?

Arab slave traders were notorious, what about the Egyptians or the Romans? Are you seriously denying the extent slavery has been around in human history? It has been around a lot longer than the political entity of England has been around, let alone the United Kingdom.

But you are right, the UK did abolish it and actively police the banning of slavery around the world, whilst the French, Portugese, Arabs, African slave traders were getting rich off it. The UK government went to war with nations to stop them from using slavery, it ultimately changed the world for the better.

Um no the UK stop Alavert because it was no longer economically viable. Little to to with any moral high ground . And I think you will find the First Nation to abolish Slavery was Haiti.

Reference to the atrocity and inhumane acts of the Atlantic Slave Trade.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hannah60000
Um no the UK stop Alavert because it was no longer economically viable. Little to to with any moral high ground . And I think you will find the First Nation to abolish Slavery was Haiti.

Reference to the atrocity and inhumane acts of the Atlantic Slave Trade.

There may have been small nations who banned slavery, but on a world wide scale, Haiti achieved little and in the end Napoleon re-established slavery there. Britain actively enforced a ban, worldwide. Slavery was still very profitable, The French, Netherlands, United States and Portugal were still using slaves as the basis of propping up their empires.

You want to read a history book about how much Britain made it a moral crusade to stop the big empires, pressuring massive nations into signing treaties that would remove slavery from the western world (apart from the United States who had bringing new slaves in, but still kept them... until their own civil war to abolish slavery).
(edited 10 years ago)
There may have been small nations who banned slavery, but on a world wide scale, Haiti achieved little and in the end Napoleon re-established slavery there. Britain actively enforced a ban, worldwide. Slavery was still very profitable, The French, Netherlands, United States and Portugal were still using slaves as the basis of propping up their empires.

You want to read a history book about how much Britain made it a moral crusade to stop the big empires, pressuring massive nations into signing treaties that would remove slavery from the western world (apart from the United States who had bringing new slaves in, but still kept them... until their own civil war to abolish slavery).

Oh because books cannot be bias. Like the sane accounts if John Locke when he first went to the west coast of African and said I quite "the African is half demon half man, with their heads in their breast". Englishman he was.

Britain did end the slavery for moral reasons holistically. Neither did it end slavery world wide, only in her dominions.

Funny how you keep going on about Britain's supposed moral agendas yet they use slavery again on a smaller scale with the use of Chinese slave labour in south Africa during the late 19th to early 20th century.

Britain's refusal to give reparations or to apologise for the Atlantic slave trade, also show how they felt about the morally viewed the skate trade, where are the memorials? Wait there are none. Unlike those in west Africa and in other countries predominantly filled with those of African descent.

In fact the British govt of the time gave reparations to the families who had high stock in slavery? David Cameron family historically received this payment.

So do not attempt to preach to me about slavery. I personally have had enough of the Eurocentric historical lies. I do not need to "read a book". I am well versed on British history when it comes to this.

I am an undergraduate doing history at the best university in the country for the subject, which is very British and European centred course. So I know what I am saying.

The ending of the Atlantic slave trade had little to nothing to do with morals. On the British, nor the American or European side, for that matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope your trolling

They had plenty of years of slave labour

your argument is analagous to saying hitlers germany was good because it had full employment...
Original post by rickfloss
Hope your trolling

They had plenty of years of slave labour

your argument is analagous to saying hitlers germany was good because it had full employment...

I fully acknowledge their use of slaves, but they police their abolishment. Not even the Americans wanted to do that... nor the French (who heavily relied on slaves for their economies at the time).

I'm not a troll... Britain may have had a past with using slaves but for righteous or strategic reasons, Britain ended the slave trade. This is coming from a history student. I honestly don't give a crap about the UK and I don't give a **** about it's future but I'm not going to den y it's past. How am I the one who's trolling?
Original post by deehee
Do they feel British ?

Why do they need constant re-assurance that they are British ?

Sorry to turn your OP around, but I think that a more important question is why do so many native Brits feel insecure about their British identity...
I fully acknowledge their use of slaves, but they police their abolishment. Not even the Americans wanted to do that... nor the French (who heavily relied on slaves for their economies at the time).

I'm not a troll... Britain may have had a past with using slaves but for righteous or strategic reasons, Britain ended the slave trade. This is coming from a history student. I honestly don't give a crap about the UK and I don't give a **** about it's future but I'm not going to den y it's past. How am I the one who's trolling?

It quite saddens me when I hear people bashing the British for our 'brief' involvement in the slave trade, yes it happened, yes it helped give the Imperial economy a boost, but the decent Britsh people did not support the idea of slavery, and so Britain soon became the global leader in slavery reform, Britain was the first (and for a long time) the only real champion of the abolition of slavery, we sent out the royal navy and even went to war with other countries including America, in part over their refusal to abolish slavery... So really we should be proud of this and of our part in eradicating slavery from western society.
Original post by Stunted Elf
It quite saddens me when I hear people bashing the British for our 'brief' involvement in the slave trade, yes it happened, yes it helped give the Imperial economy a boost, but the decent Britsh people did not support the idea of slavery, and so Britain soon became the global leader in slavery reform, Britain was the first (and for a long time) the only real champion of the abolition of slavery, we sent out the royal navy and even went to war with other countries including America, in part over their refusal to abolish slavery... So really we should be proud of this and of our part in eradicating slavery from western society.

The thread is almost 4 years old..
Original post by cherryred90s
The thread is almost 4 years old..

The post that I was replying to was posted an hour ago.... I hadn't realised that the OP was that old...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending