LSE Economics & Philosphy Watch

Goldfly
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello

I would like to apply to LSE's Econ Philosophy course but I haven't taken any philosophy related subjects at GCSE or A Level. Will this put me at a disadvantage? Also, how will I structure my PS? Would I state why I would like to study Philosophy as well as Economics? Is this course particularly competitive?

Thank you

Goldfly
benq
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Goldfly)
Hello

I would like to apply to LSE's Econ Philosophy course but I haven't taken any philosophy related subjects at GCSE or A Level. Will this put me at a disadvantage? Also, how will I structure my PS? Would I state why I would like to study Philosophy as well as Economics? Is this course particularly competitive?

Thank you

Goldfly
You don't need Philosophy at GCSE or A-level and no, not having these won't put you at a disadvantage. You should structure your PS in the way where you will be able to show that you have a genuine interest in Philosophy and not only Economics. I bet there are a handful of people who apply to Phil&Econ at the LSE only because they think that it is easier to get into than straight Economics. Obviously Philosophy admission tutors smell that and then I expect reject those kind of people as fast as they can because who would like teaching a student who isn't interested in your subject? Good luck.
Goldfly
Rep:
?
(Original post by benq)
You don't need Philosophy at GCSE or A-level and no, not having these won't put you at a disadvantage. You should structure your PS in the way where you will be able to show that you have a genuine interest in Philosophy and not only Economics. I bet there are a handful of people who apply to Phil&Econ at the LSE only because they think that it is easier to get into than straight Economics. Obviously Philosophy admission tutors smell that and then I expect reject those kind of people as fast as they can because who would like teaching a student who isn't interested in your subject? Good luck.
Thank you very much for your response benq. It is like my biggest regret not taking RS at GCSE but I have a genuine interest in the subject and thus I would like to study it at university. Would you recommend any books that would prepare me for the course?
benq
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you very much for your response benq. It is like my biggest regret not taking RS at GCSE but I have a genuine interest in the subject and thus I would like to study it at university. Would you recommend any books that would prepare me for the course?
For general introduction to philosophy I would recommend Thomas Nagel's "What does it all mean?" and Simon Blackburn's "Think". Both are high quality introductions that cover core questions in metaphysics, epistomology, philosophy of mind, etc. I don't think you need to read any specific books in order to prepare for the course, just do well at your A-levels and develop skills in critical thinking, analysis, essay writing.
Goldfly
Rep:
?
(Original post by benq)
For general introduction to philosophy I would recommend Thomas Nagel's "What does it all mean?" and Simon Blackburn's "Think". Both are high quality introductions that cover core questions in metaphysics, epistomology, philosophy of mind, etc. I don't think you need to read any specific books in order to prepare for the course, just do well at your A-levels and develop skills in critical thinking, analysis, essay writing.
Thank you for your help benq

I have already ordered 'What does it all mean?' and I'll definitely give 'Think' a read. None of my options are essay based subjects (Maths, FM, Physics and Economics), should I be worried?
benq
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you for your help benq

I have already ordered 'What does it all mean?' and I'll definitely give 'Think' a read. None of my options are essay based subjects (Maths, FM, Physics and Economics), should I be worried?
You are welcome With regard to your subjects - actually I think your combination is really good. First of all, Economics is an essay subjects, especially in the second year. And above everything, Philosophy at the LSE is really sciency so having physics and further maths is really an advantage. Don't worry and good luck!
Victor777
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I would like to apply to Philosophy and Economics and at the moment my subjects are following - A2 Economics, Business, History, Mathematics and AS Philosophy and Politics. Currently I do have A's for first 3 units in Economics and Business and BAAA in History (going to retake unit 1). Could you please tell me, am I alright for LSE. (Please do not consider me arrogant, I am just extremely worried after all those stories I heard about LSE!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London School of Economics and Political Science
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (387)
30.94%
The paper was reasonable (491)
39.25%
Not feeling great about that exam... (217)
17.35%
It was TERRIBLE (156)
12.47%

Watched Threads