Fear of crossing the road? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This is bizarre, I seem to have developed a fear of crossing the road. Let me explain, I mean really busy roads. Not empty roads. With really busy roads, I'll sometimes turn back, fearful of getting hit by a car. And this is annoying, when you're trying to get somewhere. I'm not sure why I have a fear of it now, when I didn't before, but what I ask now is, is there a way to get over thsi fear?
ZRO
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i don't even...... How do you get to places then? Just stand there looking at the otherside of the road in sadness?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
No, I either go back, or find a empty road somewhere else.
techno-thriller
Badges: 14
Report 5 years ago
Use the crossings?
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
No, I either go back, or find a empty road somewhere else.
Do you not use crossings (where they exist)?
Nathanielle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anxiety can change forms and build up, so it is important to not give in or to ignore it, BUT you can do a lot by yourself, e.g. rationalizing and facing it. Just begin with small roads and then get better at it. Don't begin to make up various routes in your head to avoid having to do it. In case of need don't hesitate to contact somebody professional if you wish. They won't treat it another way, like e.g. extreme phobia of spiders.
Solemn Rain
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Look left and then right and then again and again, no cars? Cross the road. Simples
Truefaith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think its normal to get a bit scared before crossing a really busy road. Just use the crossings or cross at a quieter place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anxiety can build up for all manner of things and it's natural that you feel a bit silly about it but anxiety isn't necessarily rational. I'd recommend that you try building up to it - cross empty roads, then roads with more traffic, then more until you get to the really busy roads, maybe if you worked up to it you might feel better about it. If that doesn't work you could try seeing your doctor for a referral to a psychologist.
sparkysarmy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Dodge and weave or close your eyes, take yourself to a peaceful environment and imagine the birds tweeting, the breeze softly blowing through your hair. The sun is arising from the peak of the highest mountain peak. Rays of light begin to dance along their designated paths, the trees wave from left to right and the splashing of sea water, dampens your cheeks, you take three steps towards the water and LEG IT.
Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (67)
21.82%
The paper was reasonable (134)
43.65%
Not feeling great about that exam... (56)
18.24%
It was TERRIBLE (50)
16.29%

Watched Threads