Year in Industry - Worth It? Watch

Blue Lightning
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys, so i'm sorry if this is in the wrong section.
I'm applying on UCAS right now, and im stuck.
I'm applying for Chemistry/Chemical Engineering at uni, and

I dont know whether to apply for a year in industry. You see, at Nottingham, the university i want to go to, Chemistry with a year in industry is a 4 year course, so the year gets graded. But will i miss out on important social stuff? Oh, and you also have to do 3 distance learning modules, along with an oral/written presentation of the research project undertook in Industry

Also, the universities that take an extra year (5 years instead of 4) when you take a year in industry, are they worth it? because it means there will be completely new people when you go back on your course afterwards, will it be hard to cope?

I dont know how to weigh up the positives of getting experience to put on my CV, and the money against the negatives of social impacts and other things.

So, i need your help TSR, Thankyou!
Table dust
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
it would help you find a job in the field you studied after you graduate, assuming you care about that
cathrg26
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A year in industry is incredibly beneficial, you'll be able to earn (often higher than after you graduate because you're still a student) to pay off some of next year's loans. You can make connections and meet new and important people. They may even offer you a job at the end of it, regardless of your class degree. Coming back to see new people on your course should be a minor thing - you can't stay with the same people for the rest of your life.

Everything is not set in stone, if you decide against a sandwich year, you could always change once you start at the university.
Blue Lightning
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So really, all the advice is to go for it..
But my problem is that 5 years seems like a loooong time for uni...
chronic_fatigue
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Doing one atm. It is a great experience, also will help with my final year project. Quite a lot are paid, so you'd probably be better off financially than your friends who are studying. If you don't do a year at least try to get some experience in the summer.
x-Sophie-x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Blue Lightning)
So really, all the advice is to go for it..
But my problem is that 5 years seems like a loooong time for uni...
I've applied for chemical engineering with industry at all my universities and they're all 4 or 5 year courses. This may seem like a long time but in my opinion, it's worth it. You'll be more likely to land a job and a lot of graduates stick with the company they did their industrial year with Plus all that experience before you are expected to fully know what you're doing, can't be a bad thing! Best of luck with your application!

Posted from TSR Mobile
stoineagaby
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cathrg26)
A year in industry is incredibly beneficial, you'll be able to earn (often higher than after you graduate because you're still a student) to pay off some of next year's loans. You can make connections and meet new and important people. They may even offer you a job at the end of it, regardless of your class degree. Coming back to see new people on your course should be a minor thing - you can't stay with the same people for the rest of your life.

Everything is not set in stone, if you decide against a sandwich year, you could always change once you start at the university.
But is it possible to change from a regular course to a course with a sandwich year?
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by stoineagaby)
But is it possible to change from a regular course to a course with a sandwich year?
It's usually an awful lot easier to switch from a sandwich course to a non-sandwich course.
cathrg26
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by stoineagaby)
It's possible. You would have to let the university know pretty quickly though (definitely on your 1st year). The deadline for this depends on the university. As the person above me said, it is a lot more difficult to change from regular to sandwich. I would imagine it would be more difficult to rearrange everything for the student with accommodation and spaces etc. I would check with the uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (306)
30.94%
The paper was reasonable (400)
40.44%
Not feeling great about that exam... (159)
16.08%
It was TERRIBLE (124)
12.54%

Watched Threads