Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'd like your advice on something.

I'm an international student wanting to apply for a BA in Film(&TV) Production.
    My problem is that in my home country (Italy) the school system is completely different. There are no A levels or anything like that, you have 5 years of high school and then University.
    During high school there is a standard set of subjects (math, physics, history, philosophy, latin and all of that), so you don't have the opportunity of taking ANY art/media classes... meaning I have nothing to show at interviews.

Since it seems that the portfolio is the most important part of your application, I really don't know what to do. I only have a really bad quality video I made last year (but that really wouldn't help me), a short screenplay and some pictures.

Should I apply for a foundation course first to get a good portfolio?

I just really don't feel like having to "wait" another year (since in Italy we graduate when we're 19 instead of 18...so I feel like I'm already one year behind).
    I was also considering applying to those courses that seem to be easier to get into (like Met Film School and Central Film School London) but I don't know if that would be a waste of time and money or not...

What would you suggest?

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently on a foundation in art and design heading towards a film degree and I can tell you that all of these are legitimate options.

Personally, I chose to do a foundation course because I was not ready to move out, and so far it has not been so great in terms of showreel development. You have to bear in mind that you have to apply soon after the beginning of the course which doesn't leave that much time to make films, luckily my college don't apply until Christmas so I have a little longer before interview - this might not be the same everywhere - it's worth checking. You may also want to consider UAL, for which all the courses require a foundation course I believe, and the London Foundations like the one at LCC lead up nicely to the (very prestigious) courses like the one at Farnham.

If I were you, I would apply for the five courses that you would like to do ideally, and a foundation course, which for me wasn't through UCAS. Personally, I know that I can't afford the Met or Central, but when there are such great courses available much more cheaply...

Hope this helps!
    A lot of film courses take into account limited experience but take note of passion. I recommend that before you sign a whole year away to portfolio building you go crazy for a few days and make something really tiny for your showreel. Don't freak about it, just set yourself a two day challenge or something and make something that represents where you're at.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.