Are we a nation of wimps - offended by everything? Watch

Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Not a day goes by when I don't see someone or some group of people offended, outraged or disgusted by something or another.

Whether it's a prude parent offended by a boob shot 10 minutes before the watershed; a Guardianista having convulsions over something "racist" (when it's really not); a theist seething with rage of the satire of their religion or the Daily Mail being outraged by a teacher who also works part time as a pole dancer - there always seems to be something we like to get ourselves worked up about.

Sure there are things which are genuinely offensive, but have we become a nation of thin-skinned wimps - always looking for something to be offended by? Is there now a professional class of The Offended who make it their life's work to express their outrage at everything?

Surely we should focus on more important things.
techno-thriller
Report 5 years ago
No I don't see what wrong about getting offended. Believe what you want
Jem12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lady Comstock)
Not a day goes by when I don't see someone or some group of people offended, outraged or disgusted by something or another.

Whether it's a prude parent offended by a boob shot 10 minutes before the watershed; a Guardianista having convulsions over something "racist" (when it's really not); a theist seething with rage of the satire of their religion or the Daily Mail being outraged by a teacher who also works part time as a pole dancer - there always seems to be something we like to get ourselves worked up about.

Sure there are things which are genuinely offensive, but have we become a nation of thin-skinned wimps - always looking for something to be offended by? Is there now a professional class of The Offended who make it their life's work to express their outrage at everything?

Depends, if you make fun of someone for something they can't help versus something they can help. That's the difference.

If they can't help looking the way they look, then it's not ok to poke fun at them, because it hurts them emotionally in a profound way.

Talking of wimps, i think a man who doesn't help a person in a victim type situation is a WIMP tbh.
Moosferatu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
People spend their time chasing empty issues instead of focusing on real ones, yes.
Welsh_insomniac
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jem12)
Depends, if you make fun of someone for something they can't help versus something they can help. That's the difference.

If they can't help looking the way they look, then it's not ok to poke fun at them, because it hurts them emotionally in a profound way.

Talking of wimps, i think a man or a woman who doesn't help a person in a victim type situation is a WIMP tbh.
FTFY
The Angry Stoic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's nothing wrong with people being offended. What's wrong is that people thinks they have the right not to be offended.
yaboy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Saying "that black guy" in public would start WW3.
EonBlueApocalypse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
People get offended really easily, I ridicule these people.
WeeGuy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
in sort yes we are.
ThatPerson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think the words "offended, offensive" have been overused.

Everyone has the right to be offended, but that doesn't mean that anyone else has to give a ****, and it definitely doesn't mean that you are right.

I also think that as the UK becomes more integrated and we incorporate more cultures into our society that we are prone to be overly morally outraged or politically correct, sometimes at the expense of our own values.
PQ
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In response to the OP - I don't think we're particularly easily offended (or more than in the past). I DO think that causing offense is something that most people would hate to do (and avoid at all costs). The stereotypical "politeness" of brits holds true to some extent (especially within the media) - add to that that minority groups might feel more empowered to point out when someone is causing offense inadvertantly and a bunch of people who seem to think being called out as saying something racist or sexist is an attack rather than a request to be more thoughtful in future and it's easy to think people are getting more touchy.

In that vein

[Quoted post removed]

I know that words like retard, mong and spaz are commonly used as the go to insult (so common that the TSR community team have made it clear they don't see it as something to moderate in the same way that they would moderate casual use of racist or sexist slurs) but the downside is they're also used to bully and victimise disabled people (and the people who love them) - often people who aren't able to defend themselves. http://bottomface.com/2013/08/28/abl...eist-language/ explains the sort of hurt and pain this casual use of disablist terms causes.
Extremotroph
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The Angry Stoic)
There's nothing wrong with people being offended. What's wrong is that people thinks they have the right not to be offended.
I agree, but do we have the right to offend?
Muppet Science
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

How dare you; that's just mean :cry2:
The Angry Stoic
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Extremotroph)
I agree, but do we have the right to offend?
If you don't have the right to offend you don't have the right to say or do anything. Anything can be offensive.
Lady Comstock
Rep:
?
There's nothing wrong with people being offended.
But surely it's "wrong" to be offended to the point of irrationality, i.e. being offended by things which really shouldn't warrant such a reaction?
User990473
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But surely it's "wrong" to be offended to the point of irrationality, i.e. being offended by things which really shouldn't warrant such a reaction?
As the offender, you shouldn't be offended by the other person's irrational offence and move on.
Problem solved.
The Angry Stoic
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's unwise, sure. Don't see why it would be morally wrong.
Lady Comstock
Rep:
?
It's unwise, sure. Don't see why it would be morally wrong.
Indeed, but I suppose a group of people who don't waste time worrying about being offended by each other/have harder skins are going to be more productive and harmonious.
Extremotroph
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you don't have the right to offend you don't have the right to say or do anything. Anything can be offensive.
Agreed, also it may be difficult to differentiate between intended offence and something else. e.g. referring to someone as "black", or referring to someone as a n.. well, I'm not black enough to say that word.
Mackay
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The problem is this country seems to get offended by something...once the Daily Mail has picked it up and ran it as a story. Remember Sachsgate? That show aired WEEKS before The Daily Mail discovered it and the next thing that happens is Brand/Ross are being sacked.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (163)
22.27%
The paper was reasonable (348)
47.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (137)
18.72%
It was TERRIBLE (84)
11.48%

Watched Threads