Can someone explain how the american healthcare system is different from ours? Watch

Jem12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Can someone explain how the american healthcare system is different from ours, I mean under the american obama presidency, not republican.

I think obama's medicare is aspiring to the NHS is that right?
Do people have to take out medical insurance?
what if you need a and e care and have no insurance? do you just die because you have no money.

what if you have no money for cancer treatment, do they just let you die slowly?

Please can someone informed give me some links or an overview introduction. I'd very much appreciate it thanks.
AWJChadders
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In America, you need to have health insurance unless you suffer from certain conditions such as chronic kidney disease where the government provides fixed rate insurance (dialysis costs about £30000 a year, so obviously no company would insure you). Obama wants to have a system where the state acts as a health insurer, and every taxpayer would have to pay for insurance from the government. At the minute, if you don't have insurance, then you can get emergency medical care or medical care from charities, but no scheduled care such as cancer treatment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
PeaceTreaty
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you get hit by a car the first thing they'll ask for is your credit card.
AWJChadders
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_..._United_States
It's wikipedia, but it's a good article.
Interestingly, the USA spends the most out of any other nation on healthcare per a person, but has considerably worse health statistics than many other developed countries

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jem12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by AWJChadders)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_..._United_States
It's wikipedia, but it's a good article.
Interestingly, the USA spends the most out of any other nation on healthcare per a person, but has considerably worse health statistics than many other developed countries

Posted from TSR Mobile
thankyou chadders for the previous explanation.
BlueSam3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jem12)
Can someone explain how the american healthcare system is different from ours, I mean under the american obama presidency, not republican.
It hasn't changed much.

I think obama's medicare is aspiring to the NHS is that right?
No. It's nowhere near anything like that, at all.

Do people have to take out medical insurance?
Yes.

what if you need a and e care and have no insurance? do you just die because you have no money.
They treat you then bill you afterwards.

what if you have no money for cancer treatment, do they just let you die slowly?
Yes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (206)
22.2%
The paper was reasonable (394)
42.46%
Not feeling great about that exam... (178)
19.18%
It was TERRIBLE (150)
16.16%

Watched Threads