The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to Manchester Met as a back up? I'll get around ABB

I'm predicted AAA, I'll probably get AAB/ABB in Chemistry, Biology & English Literature respectively. So far these are my choices:

Biology w/ Science & Society at Manchester University (need ABB for these 3)
Biological Sciences at Manchester University
Biological Sciences at Leeds University (w/ year abroad)
Biology & Chemistry combined honours (w/ year abroad) at Manchester Met (only need BBB)

It appeals to me because it's not too far from where I live, it has low entry requirements, and the year abroad studying in America really appeals to me. I like chemistry AND biology and nowhere else does a combined honours in both like Manc Met does. However, it seems to have quite a bad reputation and my teachers don't really like the idea of me applying there. I'm so confused I don't know whether I should apply or not.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Chemistry is my strongest subject too, so I want to incorporate it somehow, but I don't want to do a full degree as it'd be too hard I think.
Have you looked into biochem/biomed degrees if you want to combine biology and chemistry.
Reply 3
Original post by x__justmyluck
Have you looked into biochem/biomed degrees if you want to combine biology and chemistry.

I don't really like how specific they are, as I prefer quite broad subject areas and I don't think those are my strong points either
Reply 4
Nah, simply because you'd have to tell your friends in uom that you applied to the met.
Yeah if you feel you like the universities and what they have to offer why not. BBB could be your back up aswell, I would change one of your other options to a higher institute though as you are capable of maybe getting AAA assuming you have AAB at AS. If your content with your choices however, go for it.

All the best.
Then have man met as your insurance, choosing a course and uni that you are happy with is much more important than how good your teachers think the uni is. BBB sounds like a good insurance offer for you and hopefully you'll get into whichever you'll put as your firm anyway :smile:.
Reply 7
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Yeah if you feel you like the universities and what they have to offer why not. BBB could be your back up aswell, I would change one of your other options to a higher institute though as you are capable of maybe getting AAA assuming you have AAB at AS. If your content with your choices however, go for it.

All the best.

I got ABBB at AS (the first B was 2 ums off an A and I'm resitting the second B because I had one catastrophic exam which brought by original grade A down to a B!). Yes I think I might change Leeds to a higher institute because places such as Lancaster/Leicester are consistently higher up in the league tables with similar entry requirements.
Original post by Magenta96
I got ABBB at AS (the first B was 2 ums off an A and I'm resitting the second B because I had one catastrophic exam which brought by original grade A down to a B!). Yes I think I might change Leeds to a higher institute because places such as Lancaster/Leicester are consistently higher up in the league tables with similar entry requirements.

Look at employability rates for the universities, and whether or not it's worth your while
You can, but I dare say that you'll get offers from at least some of the others anyway, so your plan of waiting a while might not be such a bad one.
Reply 10
I have to say as a current MMU student; I don't particularly understand why it gets such a bad press from people...
Reply 11
Original post by Origami Bullets
You can, but I dare say that you'll get offers from at least some of the others anyway, so your plan of waiting a while might not be such a bad one.

But even if I did get offers from the top universities, I feel like I can't guarantee that I WILL get ABB+, because, for example in English I was predicted an A & consistently scored A's in all the mock exams then completely bombed the actual exam and got a low C so I don't think I can take any risks this time round. Especially seeing as I don't have the option to resit.
Reply 12
Original post by Deyesy
I have to say as a current MMU student; I don't particularly understand why it gets such a bad press from people...

When I ask people why they don't like MMU, they give reasons such as that it's too modern, or that it is quite low in the league tables for my subject. Haven't really made up my mind on what I think of it though.
Reply 13
When I ask people why they don't like MMU, they give reasons such as that it's too modern, or that it is quite low in the league tables for my subject. Haven't really made up my mind on what I think of it though.

Oh it's definitely very modern but I guess I've never seen that as a criticism since all it means is that we have up to date facilities - which I'd of thought would've been a plus, not a minus. I've just had a look at where MMU is in the league tables for your subject - and yes it isn't up there with your 'red brick' universities but it's gone up the table since last year and is nowhere near the bottom of the rankings.

You're only looking at it for a possible insurance choice aren't you?
Reply 14
Original post by Deyesy
Oh it's definitely very modern but I guess I've never seen that as a criticism since all it means is that we have up to date facilities - which I'd of thought would've been a plus, not a minus. I've just had a look at where MMU is in the league tables for your subject - and yes it isn't up there with your 'red brick' universities but it's gone up the table since last year and is nowhere near the bottom of the rankings.

You're only looking at it for a possible insurance choice aren't you?

yeah, but it only takes one really bad exam to make me go from ABB to BBB and lose out on my other choices, so I could go MMU if things don't go to plan. The course does actually sound promising but I haven't been to an open day yet.
Reply 15
Original post by Deyesy

-Very low in rankings

-Most people who study there have bad grades. This is reflected by the average UCAS points.

-It's inferior to Manchester Uni, which is right next to it.

-A lot of people are only studying at Man Met because they aren't good enough for Manchester Uni. This seem to be the case for everyone I know who applied, studies or studied at Man Met. Manchester Uni is better in every subject that they both have in common.
Reply 16
Original post by Nitrogen
-Very low in rankings

-Most people who study there have bad grades. This is reflected by the average UCAS points.

-A lot of people are only studying at Man Met because they aren't good enough for Manchester Uni. This seem to be the case for everyone I know who applied, studies or studied at Man Met. Manchester Uni is better in every subject that they both have in common.

These are the factors that really put me off going there tbh
Reply 17
yeah, but it only takes one really bad exam to make me go from ABB to BBB and lose out on my other choices, so I could go MMU if things don't go to plan. The course does actually sound promising but I haven't been to an open day yet.

Honestly? You should visit the university itself to get a proper idea and feel of it.

I also think to 'not' have a university which has slightly lower entry requirements than your other 4 choices to have as your insurance would be slightly silly.

-Very low in rankings

The two things in bold:

1) BBB is the entry requirement for the course is question - You're telling me that 'BBB' at A Level is 'bad'? Even my course is 'BBB-BBC' if you're entering in at the first year.

2) Your point about it being inferior to Manchester is correct but is just like saying Liverpool Hope is inferior to Liverpool; when infact it's one of the best universities in the country for teaching. Your arguement is very black and white.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
These are the factors that really put me off going there tbh

If you want an insurance, which asks for BBB, there are many better places than Man Met. Since you want to stay close to home how about look at places like Sheffield, York and Liverpool.
Original post by Deyesy
The two things in bold:

1) BBB is the entry requirement for the course is question - You're telling me that 'BBB' at A Level is 'bad'? Even my course is 'BBB-BBC' if you're entering in at the first year.

2) Your point about it being inferior to Manchester is correct but is just like saying Liverpool Hope is inferior to Liverpool; when infact it's one of the best universities in the country for teaching. Your arguement is very black and white.

Maybe for Op's course, but overall the university entry requirements are low. Although it says that the entry requirements are 3B's, on results day they will still take people dropping 2 or 3 grades. The entry requirements are only 3Bs, so it makes them look good. 3B's is not bad a A-Level, but I wouldnt say they're great either.

Liverpool Hope might well be the best university for their teaching course, but that will still not change the fact that they have low entry requirements and a bad reputation. I mean how many people on the street or even employers will know that? They will jump straight to the conclusion that Liverpool>Liverpool Hope. Not to mention theres probably a higher calibre of students at Liverpools teaching course than Liverpool Hope's course, even though Liverpool Hope's course is deemed better.
Reply 19
Maybe for Op's course, but overall the university entry requirements are low. Although it says that the entry requirements are 3B's, on results day they will still take people dropping 2 or 3 grades. The entry requirements are only 3Bs, so it makes them look good. 3B's is not bad a A-Level, but I wouldnt say they're great either.

Liverpool Hope might well be the best university for their teaching course, but that will still not change the fact that they have low entry requirements and a bad reputation. I mean how many people on the street or even employers will know that? They will jump straight to the conclusion that Liverpool>Liverpool Hope. Not to mention theres probably a higher calibre of students at Liverpools teaching course than Liverpool Hope's course, even though Liverpool Hope's course is deemed better.

I don't want to derail OP's original query but: I'm pretty damn sure employee's will know which universities are better for certain courses than others.

The debate about universities is for another thread; not OP's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending