please help Watch

mahgull
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
i really need help for biology-additional science. The six mark question mark is to explain the process of digestion of fat, can somebody please help me.

Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Large chunks of food are broken down in the mouth by the teeth (mechanical digestion). A bolus of food is then pushed down the oesophagus by the process of perislasis. Certain substances such as protein are broken down in the stomach my enzymes. Chyme (a mixture of partially digested food and enzymes) is then released into the duodenum. Here, bile and pancreatic juice are secreted into the mixture. Bile contains emulsifiers which help to break down large droplets of fat into smaller ones (another example of mechanical digestion). Breaking fats down into tiny droplets provides a larger surface area on which enzymes can act. There are enzymes in the pancreatic juice, which is secreted from the pancreatic duct. One of these enzymes is lipase, which breaks down fats into fatty acids and glycerol. These molecules are now small enough to pass through the walls of the small intestine (ileum), so they are absorbed by the villi.

I'm a little rusty, but that should be sufficient for a six mark question
mahgull
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
oh my god, thanks a ton, i have a six mark question on this in my bio paper on monday, thanks a lot x
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No problem, good luck for your test!

I just noticed a wee typo on my post which has now been corrected. It's emulsifiers not semulsifiers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (413)
18.6%
The paper was reasonable (1053)
47.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (493)
22.21%
It was TERRIBLE (261)
11.76%

Watched Threads