The Student Room Group

How can we help Roma gypsies integrate into society

Scroll to see replies

How about we help them instead by sending them straight back home when they reach the border?
Original post by CharlieTH
Are we actually going to get these 100,000 migrants though? I was under the impression that it was just the Daily Mail exaggerating again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We may, we may not. However with its plans to open the borders unconditionally to an additional 28 million people from Romania & Bulgaria [including several million Roma] from January 01st 2014, the Government can and will do nothing to limit the numbers that do decide to come.
Reply 22
So we can generalise all Roma gypsies, but not Blacks ?

This is a dangerous road we are going down.
Reply 23
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
Stop letting them build campsites on people's land.

Plus, they should:

Get jobs.
Pay taxes.
Make their kids go to school and get an education.
Follow our laws.

You make it sound like getting a job is easy. Forgot we are in a recession? Also, you can't pay taxes if you have no money. Get off your high horse.
Reply 24
Original post by Juichiro
Forgot we are in a recession?

Can I have a source for that?
Reply 25
Original post by meenu89
Can I have a source for that?

I meant that the economic is in a ****ty state. We are not falling anymore but economic growth is really really really really slow. Sources: bbc and uk employment stats. :]
Alternatively, ask Boris tonight. He might become more talkative if you please him. :colone:
Reply 26
Original post by Juichiro
I meant that the economic is in a ****ty state. We are not falling anymore but economic growth is really really really really slow. Sources: bbc and uk employment stats. :]

I know what the state of the economy is, but from your post it was plain that you didn't. I hate when people use the word 'recession' to describe the current state of the economy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by meenu89
I know what the state of the economy is, but from your post it was plain that you didn't. I hate when people use the word 'recession' to describe the current state of the economy.

Nice but let us not go on tangent, darling. That does not change what I said earlier. Getting a job ain't easy. Especially if you don't even belong to a society. My point about getting off your high horse still stands.

P.S. I bet Boris gives you economy lessons after the sex. :sexface:
Reply 28
We can help them integrate by being tolerant towards them and leaving them to do their thing.
Reply 29
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
Stop letting them build campsites on people's land.

Plus, they should:

Get jobs.
Pay taxes.
Make their kids go to school and get an education.
Follow our laws.

What are the chances of that happening ?

Also, shouldn't we judge them as individuals, rather than as a group ?
Anti-racists are strangely quiet about Roma gypsies.
Reply 31
Original post by democracyforum
Anti-racists are strangely quiet about Roma gypsies.

Not all of them.

I love how so many people banging on about the Roma coming over and begging and stealing genuinely seem to not realise that there are many, many well-established communities of Roma who have been in the UK for decades, if not centuries. Such generalisations.
I have heard some people of Roma descent themselves say that they would not associate with other Roma, and that the thief, don't pay taxes etc. stereotype is actually quite true. I'm not a racist, not by any means, but the question is, "Will they integrate?", not "How we can help them".
We had the right idea in Belfast. Got the ****ers out in coachloads......
Roma (NB Roma isn't the same as Romanian) integration has been done quite effectively in Manchester http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25559645
Reply 35
There's a little Romanian community in a village about 2 miles from the one I live in, they are really not a bother; it's almost as if, contrary to popular beliefs, they are civilized beings
Reply 36
I don't get why they would need 'help' integrating...

I dont remember anyone helping my parents 'intergrate'...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by HollyB_C
There's a little Romanian community in a village about 2 miles from the one I live in, they are really not a bother; it's almost as if, contrary to popular beliefs, they are civilized beings

Not that I doubt that either could be civilised beings, but are you talking about Romanian Roma or just Romanians?
Reply 38
Original post by Ggmu!
I don't get why they would need 'help' integrating...

I dont remember anyone helping my parents 'intergrate'...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because times are different. It's especially problematic in the age of mass migration - it's easier to remain within isolated communities (and form, for example, ghettos) unless the host country makes a reasonable effort to aid integration. The only reason they do it is to save themselves from later problems, so I don't see why anyone would be against the idea. Would you rather immigrants had the same kind of social mobility and opportunities as everyone else, or would you rather they were trapped in low-wealth jobs and communities, alienated from the rest of society and thus caring less about that society's rules and values?
Reply 39
Original post by Ronove
Not that I doubt that either could be civilised beings, but are you talking about Romanian Roma or just Romanians?

Yes, Romanies. They do tend to isolate themselves but that is hardly surprising when they are faced with hostility.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending