Cardiff or Kent? Watch

MrHenry
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Out of curiosity, which would you say is more prestigious and prosperous for economic graduate prospects?

According to the "complete university guide"

Kent is ranked 15th, has lower entry requirements and nearly 10% better graduate prospects compared to Cardiff ranked 23rd.

On the other hand, Cardiff is a Russell Group university.

Personally I see Cardiff as being more prestigious but what do you think?
LolaXX
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd also say Cardiff is more prestigious! As you said, it's Russell Group! I guess Kent is a good uni, too, but if I were you I'd definitely choose Cardiff! It's also said to be friendlier whereas people sometimes seem to have a hard time settling in at Kent!
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
League table are a load of nonsense. Ignore them. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1096372

I'd say that cardiff was more prestigious, but if you really like the look of Kent, then I don't think you'd be mad to go for Kent over cardiff.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LolaXX)
I'd also say Cardiff is more prestigious! As you said, it's Russell Group! I guess Kent is a good uni, too, but if I were you I'd definitely choose Cardiff! It's also said to be friendlier whereas people sometimes seem to have a hard time settling in at Kent!
I think that really depends on personal experience- who you end up around & how well you get on with them can enormously influence your university experience.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MrHenry)
Out of curiosity, which would you say is more prestigious and prosperous for economic graduate prospects?

According to the "complete university guide"

Kent is ranked 15th, has lower entry requirements and nearly 10% better graduate prospects compared to Cardiff ranked 23rd.

On the other hand, Cardiff is a Russell Group university.

Personally I see Cardiff as being more prestigious but what do you think?
I'd probally say Cardiff was more prestigious however I wouldn't choose it over Kent just for that. I'd need to compare courses, facilities, the cities and then make my decision.
Et Tu, Brute?
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Russell Group is the be all and end all when it comes to universities.

If you aren't in a RG uni you essentially don't matter as far as academics and graduate employers are concerned.
cambio wechsel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)

If you aren't in a RG uni you essentially don't matter as far as academics and graduate employers are concerned.
Pretty well complete nonsense (this unless I've missed the irony).
Alex-Torres
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)

Well if the graduate prospects are better than at Cardiff, then this obviously doesn't hold true.
TheGrinningSkull
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well first, check out more than one source and don't just take it on the complete university guide

Being a Russell group means better research funding, so possibly better facilities and advances (if they let undergraduates use/apply them). And this may translate to researchers being your lecturers. Which is nice to see theory being applied.

Of course, you need to check out the course modules to see if they're what you think you'll enjoy.

Also check out the cities if possible e.g. open days. If that's not possible, try student feedback on the internet, be it blogs/youtube etc, and try to get a balanced idea of what the place is like that you want to go to.
cambio wechsel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Alex-Torres)
Well if the graduate prospects are better than at Cardiff, then this obviously doesn't hold true.
there are anyway confounding factors in this particular comparison. A very significant proportion of the students at Kent are from London and the S. East. At Cardiff, from South Wales and the west country. Where they will later seek work will bear significantly on employment prospects and starting salaries.
cambio wechsel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
Being a Russell group means better research funding, so possibly better facilities and advances (if they let undergraduates use/apply them).
he's asking after economics. They won't have or need a cyclotron.

Sensibly there are very few subjects in which the brute sum of research funding available to the department might bear on the undergraduate experience.
MrHenry
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Fantastic opinions! Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jvc95
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Both are very good and well respected

Posted from TSR Mobile
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cambio wechsel)
he's asking after economics. They won't have or need a cyclotron.
Economists are able to destroy matter without any equipment at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (163)
22.3%
The paper was reasonable (348)
47.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (136)
18.6%
It was TERRIBLE (84)
11.49%

Watched Threads