Russell group - The UK's Ivy league? Watch

itsmarcus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I never used to think so, but now I've even heard Cardiff university say in its prospectus that russell group is the UK's equivalent of ivy league. Is it? Russell group say its goals are:
  • lead the research efforts of the United Kingdom;
  • maximise the income of its member institutions;
  • attract the best staff and students to its member institutions;
  • create a regulatory environment in which it can achieve these objectives by reducing government interference; and
  • identify ways to co-operate to exploit the universities' collaborative advantage

Yeah!!!
AWJChadders
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's definitely the elite group of universities in the UK. Ivy League, however describes 8 unis in the USA, but there's 20 in the Russell group. Also, the Ivy League is technically a sports league between the universities involved, but Ivy League universities are considered the best academically in the USA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Russell Group certainly doesn't seem as "elite" as the Ivy League, although perhaps this is due to the media "hyping up" the Ivy League. On the basis of prestige, I'd have said Oxbridge was the UK equivalent of the Ivy League.
Potally_Tissed
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AWJChadders)
It's definitely the elite group of universities in the UK. Ivy League, however describes 8 unis in the USA, but there's 20 in the Russell group. Also, the Ivy League is technically a sports league between the universities involved, but Ivy League universities are considered the best academically in the USA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apart from MIT.

And Stanford, Chicago, Johns Hopkins, etc...

The Russell Group is about research. The Ivy League is about sport. All universities in each group are good; neither comprises a comprehensive list of "the best" universities.
AWJChadders
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Some of the better Russell group unis except for Oxbridge will be equivalent to some of the lesser Ivy League universities, ie Imperial College London

Posted from TSR Mobile
can'tbeleftblank
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd say there are som universities just as elitist as Oxbridge (in there own way, though obviously Oxbridge is the pinnacle) some universities in the Russell group should be considered 'the Uk's Ivy league' but not all of them.
2ndClass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Russell Group can't touch Ivy league tbh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (136)
24.95%
The paper was reasonable (241)
44.22%
Not feeling great about that exam (105)
19.27%
It was TERRIBLE (63)
11.56%

Watched Threads