PC not booting- help? Watch

Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys,

So yeah, the desktop PC I built a few months ago has been having a few problems recently. At different points during startup it would blue screen, before restarting the boot up process again. In the last week it's done this anywhere up to five times before finally reaching the logon screen, and once logged in it runs perfectly. However today I've turned it on planning to reinstall the OS and hope that resolves the issue, but it isn't showing anything on the display at all, i.e it doesn't show the GPU info or the mobo splash screen as it usually would. It makes its usual pattern of whiring sounds as it always does booting up, so my first thought was an issue with the GPU. I'll be removing it tomorrow to see if the motherboard's video-out options fare any better, but I thought I'd ask if anyone here has any idea what the problem might be?

Cheers!
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Hi guys,

So yeah, the desktop PC I built a few months ago has been having a few problems recently. At different points during startup it would blue screen, before restarting the boot up process again. In the last week it's done this anywhere up to five times before finally reaching the logon screen, and once logged in it runs perfectly. However today I've turned it on planning to reinstall the OS and hope that resolves the issue, but it isn't showing anything on the display at all, i.e it doesn't show the GPU info or the mobo splash screen as it usually would. It makes its usual pattern of whiring sounds as it always does booting up, so my first thought was an issue with the GPU. I'll be removing it tomorrow to see if the motherboard's video-out options fare any better, but I thought I'd ask if anyone here has any idea what the problem might be?

Cheers!
You can only pretty much troubleshoot....

Clear out the dust, make sure the connections are in place, etc.

Download and install the latest driver or reinstall them all.
H.C. Chinaski
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Iqbal007)
Download and install the latest driver or reinstall them all.
The display isn't showing ..i.e. no boot screen

op

couple of quick questions

Have you over clocked.... The only reason I ask is that if you have and haven't changed the cpu voltage then potentially this could cause a power issue at boot times and lead to blue screens. I assume that you have tried pulling the mains cable out of the PSU, waited a few seconds and then tried rebooting (possibly holding down F1 or F2 etc)

If not then my money go's on 1 of two things ..
(i) GFX card is not making correct contact in slot .... re-seat and try again

(ii) Memory issue .... If you have more than one bank then pull them all and try them one at a time...

If you still cannot POST then pull the GFX card and do what you suggested ...i.e. boot from onboard GFX and see what happens...
Gofre
Rep:
?
(Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
x
(Original post by Iqbal007)
x
Thanks for the suggestions guys, rep'd. It appears to be resolved, although I stillhave no idea how or what the problem was in the first place. I removed and reseated the RAM and GPU, which did nothing. I then removed the GPU and booted plugged into the board's HDMI, which booted fine once then stopped displaying again on subsequent boots. I then tried VGA, which displayed fine but still blue screened repeatedly when trying to boot up. I thought I'd try the GPU again and it's now booted and logged in perfectly three times in a row and isn't showing any of the adverse signs at all :lolwut:

Hopefully it won't rear its ugly head again!
REASON_Lighters
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Did you/have you got the problem of Boot loop?
Gofre
Rep:
?
(Original post by REASON_Lighters)
Did you/have you got the problem of Boot loop?
In a sense, it would reboot after experiencing an error and bluescreening, at which point I'd get the screen asking to boot normally/in safe mode, rather than just cycling through the boot sequence without recognising an error (which is what I understand boot looping to be?).
H.C. Chinaski
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Thanks for the suggestions guys, rep'd. It appears to be resolved, although I stillhave no idea how or what the problem was in the first place. I removed and reseated the RAM and GPU, which did nothing. I then removed the GPU and booted plugged into the board's HDMI, which booted fine once then stopped displaying again on subsequent boots. I then tried VGA, which displayed fine but still blue screened repeatedly when trying to boot up. I thought I'd try the GPU again and it's now booted and logged in perfectly three times in a row and isn't showing any of the adverse signs at all :lolwut:

Hopefully it won't rear its ugly head again!
May I ask, how many sticks of ram you have and whether you tried the boot with just one in at a time and tried each one sequentially?

I ask because I build quite a lot of systems and tend to hoard older ones; and it just so happens that one of the systems I was using for a win 7 work machine displayed similar issues to yours ....

One issue was the damn case having no screws for PCIE cards just some dumb quick release bracket that kept pulling loose .... however, the real root of the problem was a bad stick of crucial Ballistics Ram that had been fine for the previous 3 years .....
Gofre
Rep:
?
May I ask, how many sticks of ram you have and whether you tried the boot with just one in at a time and tried each one sequentially?

I ask because I build quite a lot of systems and tend to hoard older ones; and it just so happens that one of the systems I was using for a win 7 work machine displayed similar issues to yours ....

One issue was the damn case having no screws for PCIE cards just some dumb quick release bracket that kept pulling loose .... however, the real root of the problem was a bad stick of crucial Ballistics Ram that had been fine for the previous 3 years .....
Two sticks, and I didn't try them individually, if the issue pops up again (which it will knowing my luck) I'll be sure to try them :holmes:
REASON_Lighters
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
In a sense, it would reboot after experiencing an error and bluescreening, at which point I'd get the screen asking to boot normally/in safe mode, rather than just cycling through the boot sequence without recognising an error (which is what I understand boot looping to be?).
When I had the problem of boot loop, it would give me the option to s2 and f8 etc. but I kept getting a blue screen and when this did not happen, the screen would just flash with the windows logo and not do anything.

Well thats kind of what it is, except after I got the error, it kept showing the windows logo and then in turn repeating this in cycles.

If you still have this error then I would recommend trying to get into safe mode and if this fails - reset the OS.
aranexus
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If non of the hardware suggestions have worked - maybe try running windows chkdsk on the drive. May show some corruption which can prevent it getting past the login screen and BSoD'n.
jonynipa29
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
friends i think your PC have AGP problem. clear your pc's dust, open the AGP and clean the slot finally re-plugged AGP on AGP slot.
Attached files
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jonynipa29)
friends i think your PC have AGP problem. clear your pc's dust, open the AGP and clean the slot finally re-plugged AGP on AGP slot.
:eek: Graphic cards haven't been AGP in a good while..........they are PCIE these day.
Gofre
Rep:
?

The issue started back up again today, I've removed one of the RAM sticks and it instantly started to boot up perfectly again. I'm going to give it a couple of days to confirm, but between your prediction and the fact that I'm also using Ballistics RAM, I'm hoping that's the culprit!
mfaxford
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The other thing I've come across giving intermittent errors is a bad PSU. Either one that's not powerful enough or a cheap one that's not very stable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.52%
The paper was reasonable (390)
45.99%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (110)
12.97%

Watched Threads