Is it possible to transfer to Medicine from Psychology Watch

mariya101
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, ive currently applied for foundation courses in Medicine as I do not have science A-levels. However I have been rejected from two of my courses and one course offered me Psychology instead..
I'm just thinking ahead and wondering if I did do the Psychology degree is it possible to transfer to Med or would postgrad be my only option?
Becca-Sarah
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mariya101)
Hi, ive currently applied for foundation courses in Medicine as I do not have science A-levels. However I have been rejected from two of my courses and one course offered me Psychology instead..
I'm just thinking ahead and wondering if I did do the Psychology degree is it possible to transfer to Med or would postgrad be my only option?
You cannot transfer from Psychology to Medicine. Most transfers are Biomed and pre-agreed within/between unis (eg Bradford Clinical Sciences to Leeds Med, or SGUL Biomed to SGUL Med). Outside of those pathways you cannot transfer into medicine.

Graduate entry medicine would indeed have to be your route into medicine if you took a psych degree.
iLoveMyCatsx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mariya101)
Yes you can as long as you meet the requirements of 2.1 degree minimum (ideally first) and do the entrance UKCAT exam you can still get in
Psychology is a lot of biology as well and is also patient based when thinking about the careers one can get from that degree
since I got predicted AAB and not AAA I cant apply for medicine so I am applying to psychology which I also really like (at first i was crushed that medicine was no longer what i was applying to i had done all the work experience and perfected my PS etc) and so it gives me something i wouldnt mind doing for the rest of my life if i didnt get to become a dr (aka i didnt get an offer once applying as an undergrad, do u get what i mean?) basically what im trying to say is take psychology if u wouldnt mind doing that if applying for medicine doesnt work out (in some unis psychology is under the "faculty of medicine" btw so even then its actually considered a medical profession) anyway yeah you should be able to look at the grad entry requirements of unis for medicine and email them if u want a sure answer!
Ronove
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iLoveMyCatsx)
Yes you can as long as you meet the requirements of 2.1 degree minimum (ideally first) and do the entrance UKCAT exam you can still get in
Psychology is a lot of biology as well and is also patient based when thinking about the careers one can get from that degree
since I got predicted AAB and not AAA I cant apply for medicine so I am applying to psychology which I also really like (at first i was crushed that medicine was no longer what i was applying to i had done all the work experience and perfected my PS etc) and so it gives me something i wouldnt mind doing for the rest of my life if i didnt get to become a dr (aka i didnt get an offer once applying as an undergrad, do u get what i mean?) basically what im trying to say is take psychology if u wouldnt mind doing that if applying for medicine doesnt work out (in some unis psychology is under the "faculty of medicine" btw so even then its actually considered a medical profession) anyway yeah you should be able to look at the grad entry requirements of unis for medicine and email them if u want a sure answer!
You spent this whole post talking about the possibility of Grad Entry when the OP asked if it was possible to transfer into Medicine from Psychology. The answer to that would be no.
smd4std
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
no

only gem
sweetchilli
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iLoveMyCatsx)
from the wiki, 2 unis ask for AAB, St. Georges and UCL. Worth a shot?
sammyjade92
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was in a similar situation to you a year ago.

I applied with a health care related PS, and applied for Bradford Clinical Sciences (Which I am now studying), SGUL (however I don't think this transfer scheme works anymore) Sheffield Uni and the rest nursing courses. I also applied for Carmel college.

If all else fails, and you have your heart set on Medicine, do another degree then apply for Grad entry, however I don't know if I would recommend Psychology as your undergrad degree for medicine. Have a look at grad entry courses and look at their entry criteria.

Just to put this out there, I was dead set on medicine, after studying at bradford I now want to do child nursing. Things change!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (200)
22.55%
The paper was reasonable (403)
45.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (165)
18.6%
It was TERRIBLE (119)
13.42%

Watched Threads