The Student Room Group

Strugging to decide what to apply for - Help!

So basically... I used to want to do Vet med... but I don't think I'm cut out for it. Besides from that, I've looked into Physiotherapy, Marine biology, Zoology, Animal science, and bog standard medicine.

My problem - I have no idea of which one will suit me best. For me personally, the course and career afterwards would have to fairly hands on, although I obviously don't mind the theory aspect. I'm pretty much into science, animals, and people.

I got straight A*'s and A's at GCSE, and I'm currently doing maths plus the 3 sciences for AS and probably A2.

If any current Uni students, or even A2 guys could point me in the right direction with course choice, or even give me their opinion and input which could ultimately help me decide, I'd appreciate it.
Original post by Sam_Roper
So basically... I used to want to do Vet med... but I don't think I'm cut out for it. Besides from that, I've looked into Physiotherapy, Marine biology, Zoology, Animal science, and bog standard medicine.

My problem - I have no idea of which one will suit me best. For me personally, the course and career afterwards would have to fairly hands on, although I obviously don't mind the theory aspect. I'm pretty much into science, animals, and people.

I got straight A*'s and A's at GCSE, and I'm currently doing maths plus the 3 sciences for AS and probably A2.

If any current Uni students, or even A2 guys could point me in the right direction with course choice, or even give me their opinion and input which could ultimately help me decide, I'd appreciate it.

I am surprised you are looking into medicine if you have ruled out vet med - both require similar grades, both need work experience (although vet med needs more), both usually require extra tests depending which uni you go to (e.g. BMAT, etc).Both medicine and vet med are very heavy in terms of theory, but obviously integrate clinical skills into this.

I would personally look into these degrees individually, and perhaps try to get some work experience (e.g. if you're looking into medicine or physio), perhaps do to open days and look where these degrees could lead you to.

It also depends what you mean by 'hand on'? Do you include lab work as being hands on in this for example?

I too wanted to do Veterinary Medicine this time last year, so when you say you don't think you're cut out for it, I can empathise. Do you have any work experience? If not I'd suggest you start finding some soon! Liverpool for example require a minimum of 10 weeks. You will need a lot of dedication to study something like vet med, so if you're worried you're not cut out for it then perhaps it's not for you! But try and get some work experience anyway? It will give you an indication as to whether or not you'd be suited to it :smile:

Perhaps something like a career in animal physiotherapy? You could do a bit of research on that! I'm not sure what degree you would need for that though :redface: With a degree like Zoology or Marine Biology, you probably wouldn't get any hands on experiences. (Considered both myself!) You could go on to have a career in conservation, however I'm not sure how much of a salary you'd like. I think most hands on jobs with animals are more about loving your job than the pay check.

I wouldn't worry just yet though, I changed my mind about my degree choice so many times in year 12! (From vet med to biology, zoology, history, history and biology combined, history and zoology combined etc.) Then I realised I hated chemistry so couldn't do many of the above :tongue: You've got a decent amount of time to think about it, so don't worry too much! You could do a bit of wider reading around your possible choices just to get a better idea :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by SilverstarDJ
I am surprised you are looking into medicine if you have ruled out vet med - both require similar grades, both need work experience (although vet med needs more), both usually require extra tests depending which uni you go to (e.g. BMAT, etc).Both medicine and vet med are very heavy in terms of theory, but obviously integrate clinical skills into this.

I would personally look into these degrees individually, and perhaps try to get some work experience (e.g. if you're looking into medicine or physio), perhaps do to open days and look where these degrees could lead you to.

It also depends what you mean by 'hand on'? Do you include lab work as being hands on in this for example?

Thanks for the input!
I was looking into medicine as opposed to vet med mainly because of the fact that there are a greater number of universities which offer the degree. Also, I would consider hands on work getting in and around the course in practical and clinical aspects. Working in a lab is the LAST thing on my agenda than you very much :smile:
Thanks for the input!
I was looking into medicine as opposed to vet med mainly because of the fact that there are a greater number of universities which offer the degree.

Yes, but there are also more people wanting to do medicine so doesn't mean you are more likely to get in necessarily. There are a lot more vet places now with some of the new vet schools that have opened than there used to be. Both medicine and vet med are very different jobs, and if you choose either you need to be very passionate about it.

Anyway, good luck with your decisions - I know it is hard to choose for a lot of people!
Reply 5
Original post by Lucy96
I too wanted to do Veterinary Medicine this time last year, so when you say you don't think you're cut out for it, I can empathise. Do you have any work experience? If not I'd suggest you start finding some soon! Liverpool for example require a minimum of 10 weeks. You will need a lot of dedication to study something like vet med, so if you're worried you're not cut out for it then perhaps it's not for you! But try and get some work experience anyway? It will give you an indication as to whether or not you'd be suited to it :smile:

Perhaps something like a career in animal physiotherapy? You could do a bit of research on that! I'm not sure what degree you would need for that though :redface: With a degree like Zoology or Marine Biology, you probably wouldn't get any hands on experiences. (Considered both myself!) You could go on to have a career in conservation, however I'm not sure how much of a salary you'd like. I think most hands on jobs with animals are more about loving your job than the pay check.

I wouldn't worry just yet though, I changed my mind about my degree choice so many times in year 12! (From vet med to biology, zoology, history, history and biology combined, history and zoology combined etc.) Then I realised I hated chemistry so couldn't do many of the above :tongue: You've got a decent amount of time to think about it, so don't worry too much! You could do a bit of wider reading around your possible choices just to get a better idea :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your input on this! :smile:

I have found some work experience so far. I have done 2 weeks in kennels and 1 week in a cattery. Also, a friend of mine already on a vet med course gave me access to a list of a bunch of places who take on vet med and vet med work exp. students. The problem with the course choice is that I'm not sure I will make the grades, or get enough work experience in, in the time that I have left. I mean, I am predicted 4 As at AS, but so far I'm working way behind where I should be.

In terms of everything else animal physiotherapy sounds like it could be for me, but since I last posted here I've been looking into regular physiotherapy and radiotherapy! :smile:

thanks again :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by SilverstarDJ
Yes, but there are also more people wanting to do medicine so doesn't mean you are more likely to get in necessarily. There are a lot more vet places now with some of the new vet schools that have opened than there used to be. Both medicine and vet med are very different jobs, and if you choose either you need to be very passionate about it.

Anyway, good luck with your decisions - I know it is hard to choose for a lot of people!

I see where you are coming from.
Ultimately, I have to find a course which suits me, i'll enjoy, has career stability, and pays fairly well by the end of it. The impossible dream <3 lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending