Volunteering! Help! Watch

natashas96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So basically,

I will be applying to do medicine for 2015 entry.

Im in year 12.

Currently I am a cadet for St Johns Ambulance. This is for 2 hours though about an hour or 1 1/2 hour is wasted just for travelling there and back.

I will also be volunteering at a hospital trust. This will also be about 2 hours on a ward, although this will also waste 1 1/2 hour travelling to and from it.

I was hoping to also do volunteering in care home.

However, if I do all these, I don't think I would have enough time to concentrate on my work for alevels.

So what should I do?

1) I can either drop St Johns ambulance and do care home and hospital?

Or

2) I can drop the care home and do st johns and hospital.

or

Just hospital then next year start care home just for a month?
lolly1995
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Any voluntary work is good, but the hospital and care home might be better because you want to go into medicine. It's up to you whether you want to do both now, but you could volunteer at the hospital this year then at a care home later on so you can keep on top of your studies.

It's really good that you're offering your time to volunteer Good luck with whatever you decide!
natashas96
Rep:
?
(Original post by lolly1995)
Any voluntary work is good, but the hospital and care home might be better because you want to go into medicine. It's up to you whether you want to do both now, but you could volunteer at the hospital this year then at a care home later on so you can keep on top of your studies.

It's really good that you're offering your time to volunteer Good luck with whatever you decide!
Thanks alot, i was thinking of doing the care home and hospital but as you said i might simply do the hospital and leave the care home for next year. The thing is my gcse grades werent as good.. I got 4a* 5as and 2bs... so was thinking i may need more volunteering to stand a better chance when applying?

Are you a med student? Can i know what volunteering you did if you dont mind?

Thanks
lolly1995
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No I'm not a med student - I'm still in college but I want to go into mental health nursing. I volunteer in a charity shop and mentor people with depression. I'll also be going on three placements as part of my course, and I'd like to do them in a special needs school, sure start centre and an elderly care home if possible.

Sorry I can't give any more specific help, but in general it will help to get as much volunteering and work experience as you can
natashas96
Rep:
?
(Original post by lolly1995)
No I'm not a med student - I'm still in college but I want to go into mental health nursing. I volunteer in a charity shop and mentor people with depression. I'll also be going on three placements as part of my course, and I'd like to do them in a special needs school, sure start centre and an elderly care home if possible.

Sorry I can't give any more specific help, but in general it will help to get as much volunteering and work experience as you can
Thats great. Good luck and thanks anyway.
ps1265A
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm in year 12 too and hoping to do Medicine at university.

You are doing a hell of a lot of things! I wish I was in your position; I've applied to so many hospitals, hospices and care homes yet I still haven't got a place anywhere!

Keep up the work!
Millie_boulton97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by natashas96)
So basically,

I will be applying to do medicine for 2015 entry.

Im in year 12.

Currently I am a cadet for St Johns Ambulance. This is for 2 hours though about an hour or 1 1/2 hour is wasted just for travelling there and back.

I will also be volunteering at a hospital trust. This will also be about 2 hours on a ward, although this will also waste 1 1/2 hour travelling to and from it.

I was hoping to also do volunteering in care home.

However, if I do all these, I don't think I would have enough time to concentrate on my work for alevels.

So what should I do?

1) I can either drop St Johns ambulance and do care home and hospital?

Or

2) I can drop the care home and do st johns and hospital.

or

Just hospital then next year start care home just for a month?
Hi there,
All I've heard, is that its really not the quantity you do, be what you've learnt from it, and if you know what its like to be a doctor (junior as well. not just consultants, because you wont get there until at least about 10 years after you qualify) and so, which ever one you drop doesn't matter, just as long as you know the above, and you can write it in your personal statement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (4)
36.36%
The paper was reasonable (2)
18.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (1)
9.09%
It was TERRIBLE (4)
36.36%

Watched Threads