NHS Funding Watch

lucy1304
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

So, I'm a 18 year old who is applying for nursing to start in 2014. I am worried about student finance as I think (don't want to ask them just yet) my parents fall in to the £25,000 strand for a grant/loan. I would like to move away to uni and when I go to uni, my parents won't be able to give me money. For the accommodation I have looked at in various unis it looks like I'm not going to have enough to cover my accommodation without leaving me with barely anything to live off for the year. I wondered if anyone has any ideas how I can get extra funding as it is not viable to get a job whilst on such an intense course! If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Lucy
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lucy1304)
Hi,

So, I'm a 18 year old who is applying for nursing to start in 2014. I am worried about student finance as I think (don't want to ask them just yet) my parents fall in to the £25,000 strand for a grant/loan. I would like to move away to uni and when I go to uni, my parents won't be able to give me money. For the accommodation I have looked at in various unis it looks like I'm not going to have enough to cover my accommodation without leaving me with barely anything to live off for the year. I wondered if anyone has any ideas how I can get extra funding as it is not viable to get a job whilst on such an intense course! If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Lucy
Firstly just to make clear NHS finance is very different to normal student finance. It is still means tested but the amounts available are different and you can only get a reduced rate maintenance loan of approximately £2000 from student finance (this is regardless of income). For NHS rates have a look at the calculator. As a student you can get an interest free overdraft, other than that work the summer before you start uni, there aren't really any other options.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (104)
19.05%
The paper was reasonable (274)
50.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
19.96%
It was TERRIBLE (59)
10.81%

Watched Threads