When will I hear from Oxford? Watch

CrystaLite
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I havn't received anything from Oxford since receiving my offer letter and later a letter about a slight change to the course I've applied for.

Does anyone know when I will receive information about sorting out the accommodation, the academic dress, term dates, freshers week etc? I'm guessing it will probably be after the A level results come out...but would it make any difference, as I have already completed my A levels last year?

I'm starting to get worried, cos loads of other people seem to be getting letters about freshers week and stuff recently...I hope they havn't forgotten me...
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think they'll send the letters sometime around results day (17th August) when they're able to confirm which students will be matriculating at Oxford in the Autumn. You may have completed your 'A' levels already, but they'll need to process everyone as a batch, especially for things like accommodation. Don't worry about it.
HannahZ
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Don't worry that other people have been receiving things. Each college does it's own admin and so when you get all that stuff will vary from college to college.
sjuthani
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've heard nothing since the offer letter, I'm sure they've been busy with other stuff. I know I have!
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I didn't hear anything until after results. I doubt they'd do anything different just because you already have your results as then they'd have to send multiple batches of letters (post-A2; internationals; A2 etc) and it makes far more logistical sense just to send one.
Don't panic!
Nutter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Worry not, they've definitely not forgotten about you!

I understand the anxiety though!
Jenski
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Knogle)
I think they'll send the letters sometime around results day (17th August) when they're able to confirm which students will be matriculating at Oxford in the Autumn. You may have completed your 'A' levels already, but they'll need to process everyone as a batch, especially for things like accommodation. Don't worry about it.
I'm going to sound terribly ignorant :rolleyes: but what is matriculating :confused:?

Apologies!
Cirsium
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Aww bless

Matriculation is the ceremony where you become officially a part of the university
Jenski
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Muchos gracias ignorance banished.
°lemontree°
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Do most partents come to Oxford for matriculation (I know they can't attend the ceremony itself) ?

... I think I won't be able to talk my parents out of coming, it's my birthday...
Cirsium
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well they're not allowed in the Sheldonian (the theatre where the ceremony is carried out) so they'll be plenty of parentless people. Quite a few people's parents came to take them out to lunch etc though - seems a bit off really - after all you've only been in Oxford for a week and a half!!
passthesaltplease
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I popped into Hertford last week and spoke to the nice ladies at the Bursary. They haven't (and I'm sure this is common to most of the colleges) received the accomodation lists from the JCR and MCR yet - so no freshers get to know where they're going quite just yet. As the other posters say, you'll get all your information that you need in August. Otherwise just turn up in the last few weeks of September, go to the lodge and say "I'm here, where are my keys please"...
sarah_b
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by desemejante)
Do most partents come to Oxford for matriculation (I know they can't attend the ceremony itself) ?

... I think I won't be able to talk my parents out of coming, it's my birthday...
I don't know anyone whose parents were around for matriculation. Our whole year spent the day in the Turf before a black-tie event in the evening. It was a great day and an awesome way to meet those in my year I didn't really know already. So I'd recommend suggesting to your parents that they come the day after to take you out for lunch and do the birthday thing....
shinyhappy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by CrystaLite)
I havn't received anything from Oxford since receiving my offer letter and later a letter about a slight change to the course I've applied for.

Does anyone know when I will receive information about sorting out the accommodation, the academic dress, term dates, freshers week etc? I'm guessing it will probably be after the A level results come out...but would it make any difference, as I have already completed my A levels last year?

I'm starting to get worried, cos loads of other people seem to be getting letters about freshers week and stuff recently...I hope they havn't forgotten me...
I haven't heard anything from my college since the offer letter. There was a thread similar to this not so long ago, and I think quite a few people said the same. The general consensus was that they were going to ignore us until the results came out.
My guess would be that your college will just send all the letters out when the results come out, because only a minority of people will already have the grades, and it's easier to send everything out together! If you're worried, email one of the admissions staff, can't hurt, and (unlike the rest of us who might yet drop a grade) you don't have to worry about seeming too pushy :P
thomasjtl
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got my freshers pack in the post today. It contained a load of forms for various different things, as well as a letter from my college parents. Was rather confusing cos they we're writing as if i'd already made my offer, until i noticed there was a big notice on the front of it saying that if i've got a conditional offer, ignore anything that implied i'd definately be starting there in october.
alispam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
was that specifically from the college?
thomasjtl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
was that specifically from the college?
Yeah,- it talked about when to arrive, room arrangements and fees for accom. food etc. There were a couple of university wide notices put in about making sure i've had MMR and meningitus C jabs, and about library inductions, but it was all sent by the college.
sophisti_kate
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got a lovely one from the Senior Tutor saying we now have the pleasure of confirming your place to read Modern History.... So, I'll probs be getting the Freshers stuff soon too...
thomasjtl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
they charge us for gas and electricity on top of the extortionate room prices! It's completely ridiculous...
hayze
Report 12 years ago
I had some stuff from my college about 2 weeks ago - forms about data protection and registration of details. I also had to register with the uni doctors and have another mumps jab . Nothing about accomodation or arriving in the autumn tho. Im guessing that bit of fun is saved for after the 17th!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.81%
No (661)
60.64%
Not really bothered about them (224)
20.55%

Watched Threads