Turn on thread page Beta

Extra curriculars watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!
    I am starting A Levels next year, and i was doing some research about what subjects to take. Through my research, i have found that many universities value extra curricular activities.
    Now i want to do a law degree, therefore i would love any advice on any extra curricular activities i could do to impress universities (e.g. LSE, UCL etc.)
    I already do cadets at my school, i have been in some sports teams, and i have done part of the Cabbridge Latin course at school (i wasnt able to complete it as this is an after school, optional class, an my teacher said their has to be a minimum of 5 students attending the class for him to carry them on otherwise there isnt much point in doing these classes. Sadly though, there were only 3 studnets-including me-so my teacher canceled the course. Will universities care whether i have completed the course and will i still get recognition for it if i dont complete it?)
    Also, what other stuff do you guys recommend i do? (please dont say DoE cos i have unfortunately missed that opportunity to do DoE!)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m0hd_J)
    Hello everyone!
    I am starting A Levels next year, and i was doing some research about what subjects to take. Through my research, i have found that many universities value extra curricular activities.
    Now i want to do a law degree, therefore i would love any advice on any extra curricular activities i could do to impress universities (e.g. LSE, UCL etc.)
    I already do cadets at my school, i have been in some sports teams, and i have done part of the Cabbridge Latin course at school (i wasnt able to complete it as this is an after school, optional class, an my teacher said their has to be a minimum of 5 students attending the class for him to carry them on otherwise there isnt much point in doing these classes. Sadly though, there were only 3 studnets-including me-so my teacher canceled the course. Will universities care whether i have completed the course and will i still get recognition for it if i dont complete it?)
    Also, what other stuff do you guys recommend i do? (please dont say DoE cos i have unfortunately missed that opportunity to do DoE!)
    Thanks
    I am applying for law degrees at the mo. Extra Curriculars that I did was Work Experience at Solicitors, I have helped out in Year 7-8 classes, I recently helped teach year 6s. Look for university tasters or summer schools. Tbh wider reading is usually more impressive so be well read in law.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I gotta be honest. If you were to apply for, let's say econ or physics, at Oxbridge or Imperial or LSE they don't give a damn about extra curriculars - it is purely academic. However, since you are looking to read Law you should get work experience at law firms, and perhaps do an EPQ which is law related. That should be fine. Study hard for your LNAT. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NidaJaffri)
    Ok, I gotta be honest. If you were to apply for, let's say econ or physics, at Oxbridge or Imperial or LSE they don't give a damn about extra curriculars - it is purely academic. However, since you are looking to read Law you should get work experience at law firms, and perhaps do an EPQ which is law related. That should be fine. Study hard for your LNAT. Good luck!
    What's an EPQ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iloveginjas)
    I am applying for law degrees at the mo. Extra Curriculars that I did was Work Experience at Solicitors, I have helped out in Year 7-8 classes, I recently helped teach year 6s. Look for university tasters or summer schools. Tbh wider reading is usually more impressive so be well read in law.
    Thanks.
    Can you recommend me any books to read? Would be really helpful.
    What am I meant to show them I learnt from theses books? Do I say things like 'it inspired me to do law' etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iloveginjas)
    Also, what A Levels are you doing?
    I am currently choosing A Levels and I'm thinking of choosing English Literature, History, Chemistry and Geography or Economics. What do you advise me to choose between Geography and Economics?
    Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.
    Can you recommend me any books to read? Would be really helpful.
    What am I meant to show them I learnt from theses books? Do I say things like 'it inspired me to do law' etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I read "The Law Machine", "What about law?", the Times law section on a Thursday, random textbooks on law, a book about the strangest case of law and a book called letters to a law student.

I said the Times meant that I kept up to date about the law and gave me cases to read and form opinions on. Also for the books I wrote about how they helped my develop my love for the subject as they gave me new perspectives etc etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also, what A Levels are you doing?
    I am currently choosing A Levels and I'm thinking of choosing English Literature, History, Chemistry and Geography or Economics. What do you advise me to choose between Geography and Economics?
    Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am in the 2nd year of maths, further maths, chemistry and history. I would pock which one you enjoy the most as most law degree don't have specific such subjects need to study them. I would pick the economics personally as you would then have 2 arts subjects and 2 science subjects showing range. Also it might help if you studied business law. But it is up to you do which one you think you would do best in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What's an EPQ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    An EPQ, is an Extended Project Qualification, in the briefest terms I can give: the EPQ is a project you do over the course of a year, in that time you research, write up and evaluate a dissertation on a specific topic you choose. It doesn't have to be a dissertation but I doubt you could do an experiment for law.

So for me I will be doing something physics related e.g. the possibility of using the effect found in quantum field theory, the wave particle duality of electrons and photons.

But for you, with law, you could possibly do something like, is the judicial system a fair way of enacting justice in the modern world? I don't know if that's a viable area to specify on but I hope you get the general idea of the EPQ

Also check out this thread which is all about the EPQ:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=602573

ReputationRep:
    Places particularly such as LSE do free public lectures many of which you can just turn up to , I think they teach law.

Personally as someone who hopes to study geography BA in the future , there lectures are done by people well known in their field of speciality.

Hope this helps

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.