Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'll be picking my GCSEs in February, and I'm still contemplating over what to pick, although I do have a fair idea of what I want to do.

Here is what I'm thinking of picking.

Btw I want to be a journalist if that's of any use.

Compulsory Subjects

English
    English Literature
    Maths
    Double Award Science
    Religion

Optional Subjects

Spanish
    History
    Drama
    Business Studies

Im definitely doing Spanish and history, although I'm not sure about drama and business studies. I was thinking about taking geography but I hear it gets quite boring at GCSE level. I was also thinking about taking computing because it seems interesting and I've always liked computers.

What do you think I should take?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, take a subject that will interest you.
    Out of the subjects you mentioned I took history and geography. I felt that at times GCSE geography was a little boring but on the whole there is so much you'll learn and you'll get loads of key skills, e.g. essay writing, graph interpretation, sketch drawing, map reading etc, that will definitely help you in other subjects and later on in education. But having said that, every subject you take will have its own set of skills that you'll take away from it.
    Good luck with your choices

ReputationRep:
    Just to note, Geography looks much better on a CV than Business Studies. I do Geography and it is boring, but not so hard to get good marks. On the other hand, I also do Computing and that's really hard. Like there was only 5 in my class of 17 who got a B or above in the first coursework - luckily I was one of them hehe. If you're really good at Maths, then you should be good at Computing as well. It's just how your brain works. But just bare in mind it's hard, but I'd still choose it over Drama.

If I were you, I'd chose Spanish, History, Geography and Computing because they're academic.

ReputationRep:
    well im in exactly the same position as u are I think ur options are pretty cool.

ReputationRep:
    For my GCSE's I chose R.E, Russian language, History and Business Studies. I also chose Arabic language but you don't get lessons on it just the exam if you get what I mean.

English language, English literature, Maths, Triple science, technology and IT were all compulsory, (A handful I know).

So far, as I am still in year 10, I regret choosing business studies as I find it rather boring. If I could I would go back and choose Spanish instead of business.

I've heard that geography is quite boring but it's all worth while.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Computing is boring - worst decision I made choosing it!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did all the same compulsory subjects as you, but i also had to do I.T which was compulsory. I wouldn't take both Geography and History as they can be quite demanding, you know? History is a lot of essay writing, but you may enjoy them.
    Geography is good though, but i have a really good teacher so i suppose that helps.

Spanish in my school was only half a GCSE, so a lot of people regretted taking it.

As cheesy as it sounds, choose subjects your gonna enjoy and you know you have a passion for (Dear god that sounds awful)

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.