Report 5 years ago
You said it yourself, money.
ninuzu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AyWill)
I attend a top 10 ranked University in London - which I love. However, on the first day of my induction they asked us to raise our hands if we were from the UK. Out of 300ish people that were there only an EIGHTH had their hands raised. There was an uncomfortable laughter as the lecturers went on to talk about how multi-multiculturalism is vital for the UK.

I couldn't help but think why top Universities are rejecting good British students in favour for those overseas or in Europe. The obvious answer is financially, but surely it makes sense to educate your own before educating others?

I'm interested to know what people think on this.
Why would the universities care? They want the money and overseas students give them more.
HK786
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I attend a top 10 ranked University in London - which I love. However, on the first day of my induction they asked us to raise our hands if we were from the UK. Out of 300ish people that were there only an EIGHTH had their hands raised. There was an uncomfortable laughter as the lecturers went on to talk about how multi-multiculturalism is vital for the UK.

I couldn't help but think why top Universities are rejecting good British students in favour for those overseas or in Europe. The obvious answer is financially, but surely it makes sense to educate your own before educating others?

what uni if you don't mind me asking?
AyWill
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
You said it yourself, money.

True, but it makes little financial sense to the country. When speaking to many internationals they plan to head back to their own country and make use of the degree there and won't be inputting anything into our economy but theirs...
AyWill
Rep:
?
Why would the universities care? They want the money and overseas students give them more.

But economically it makes little sense because said students will go back home and have no desire to give back to the country. So the Uni might be gaining but in the long term, our country is not.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
University numbers have increased dramatically. Our population hasn't.

UK higher education is highly regarded so its sought after.

Another aspect to consider is foreign students studying in the UK is classed as an export even though its all done in the UK. ( an export doesn't always get loaded onto a cargo ship and sent abroad) education is a key export for the UK and a very good way of raising money.
AyWill
Rep:
?
University numbers have increased dramatically. Our population hasn't.

UK higher education is highly regarded so its sought after.

Another aspect to consider is foreign students studying in the UK is classed as an export even though its all done in the UK. ( an export doesn't always get loaded onto a cargo ship and sent abroad) education is a key export for the UK and a very good way of raising money.
That's all well and good but doesn't this just lead to British applicants being looked upon less favourable financially? If I were a businessman and I had to chose between a venture that could give me 9k as opposed to 27k (making up the figure) I would choose the latter.
Also, yes the UK higher education is widely regarded but we shouldn't be almost the only one in Europe. How many times do you hear of British applicants deciding to do a degree in Poland? Bulgaria? Switzerland? Rarely.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for 'multiculturalism' but at what cost? Seems like a one way street to me.
buchanan700
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Economically it makes a lot of sense. The overseas students students are paying the university, which feeds in to our economy. Our education system, at least at uni level, as an asset and something we should absolutely use to our advantage. We are also educating our own. Universities allocate places to nationals and there will always be lots of places for British students. On some courses they will be more prevalent as that course will be more appealing to internationals and less appealing to British students. On my course for example I don't there are any international students. Its all of matter of context and circumstance.
Crumpet1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You conclude that universities are rejecting British students in favour of overseas students. But has it occurred to you that perhaps going to university in London is not a popular choice for UK students (because of the cost), whereas it is a very popular choice for overseas students becaus they have all heard of London but not heard so much about some of the other cities?
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's all well and good but doesn't this just lead to British applicants being looked upon less favourable financially? If I were a businessman and I had to chose between a venture that could give me 9k as opposed to 27k (making up the figure) I would choose the latter.
Also, yes the UK higher education is widely regarded but we shouldn't be almost the only one in Europe. How many times do you hear of British applicants deciding to do a degree in Poland? Bulgaria? Switzerland? Rarely.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for 'multiculturalism' but at what cost? Seems like a one way street to me.
Nope. Theoretically a university could just take international students on, but local students would just move to other universities lowering the standing that the first university had and raising the standing of the second university.

British applicants have the right to study at any university in Europe. We choose not to as we are generally lazy when it comes to learning foreign languages, are generally crap at travelling abroad and have access to better universities here. You'll tend to find though that students that have studied abroad have an increased chance of employment. Not only do they have demonstrable language skills but they've operated in a foreign environment. Two key aspects that a prospective employer is likely to want. It's all about an international environment now. Given my time over again I'd wished I'd have studied abroad, but as I've worked abroad prior to my postgrad study I've got that tick in the box.

I do share your concerns. I felt like a foreigner in my own university.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Crumpet1)
You conclude that universities are rejecting British students in favour of overseas students. But has it occurred to you that perhaps going to university in London is not a popular choice for UK students (because of the cost), whereas it is a very popular choice for overseas students becaus they have all heard of London but not heard so much about some of the other cities?
This.

Also, since the start of the thread we've taken what this person has said for granted. May you tell us the University you go to, and, say, a report on the actual demographics and not just ''lots of people aren't British''.

ONE MORE THING; i'll presume what you've said is true, but how can you act that all universities are like this? ''Why is no-one British at University anymore?''
Creat0r
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Who goes to uni in London? LOL
neunundneunzig
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
British universities have always had quite a high number of international students because of the prosperity of the country (esp London and the Home Counties) and because of the Empire (a lot of rich Indians, Africans etc. used to send their children to British schools and universities).
pleasedtobeatyou
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
On the first-year of my course and there are 104 people in total but only 29 of them are from the UK. 29! Another thing is that there are so many overseas students who pay ~£25,000 per year who didn't meet their offer but still get accepted
Arbolus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The higher fees for international students are only there because they aren't funded by the Government, like UK students are. The university receives the same amount of money per student. I don't see how it could have any financial interest in attracting more internationals.
Scumbaggio
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Mostly down the amount of money foreign students pay.
Scumbaggio
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Arbolus)
The higher fees for international students are only there because they aren't funded by the Government, like UK students are. The university receives the same amount of money per student. I don't see how it could have any financial interest in attracting more internationals.
No that isn't true.

Where did you get that information?
Ferrus
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you doing a science/engineering degree? Part of this is also that English students are filtered into arts degree by their schools.
deehee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Define British.

There is no collective British identity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (67)
22.56%
The paper was reasonable (129)
43.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (53)
17.85%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
16.16%

Watched Threads