Blaha on vegetarianism Watch

Converse Rocker
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've considered vegetarianism in the past and now I'm considering taking the step at uni (no longer inconveniences my parents) after watching this:

Not because I believe killing animals is inherently wrong, but part of me feels like I simply block out the knowledge I have on factory farming as a real problem.
bertstare
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
didnt watch, eating chicken breast
Ggmu!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Join us... You'll feel better as a human and in health.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Scoobiedoobiedo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But bacon...
Brit_Miller
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Converse Rocker)
Take a look at the documentary 'Earthlings'. That should sway you. It really isn't that bad being a veggie - plenty of great meals. :-)
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Look at traditional Indian cooking. It's mostly vegetarian, India is a big and very diverse country. There are so many top quality vegetarian Indian dishes you couldnt believe it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SophiaKeuning
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've considered vegetarianism in the past and now I'm considering taking the step at uni (no longer inconveniences my parents) after watching this:

Not because I believe killing animals is inherently wrong, but part of me feels like I simply block out the knowledge I have on factory farming as a real problem.
Do it!! I'm exactly the same, it's the battery farming that turned me against meat but I still eat fish now and then.
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SophiaKeuning)
Do it!! I'm exactly the same, it's the battery farming that turned me against meat but I still eat fish now and then.
Fishing is as bad, the oceans are being destroyed.

Not to say there is something wrong with eating fish, please don't get me wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SophiaKeuning
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bertstare)
didnt watch, eating chicken breast
Ignorance is bliss
SophiaKeuning
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ggmu!)

Not to say there is something wrong with eating fish, please don't get me wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I do know that. Thankyou. Well that kinda is what you were saying, right?
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SophiaKeuning)
Yeah I do know that. Thankyou. Well that kinda is what you were saying, right?
Yes. I thought you probably knew but still. I wasnt trying to be funny it sarcastic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
theorangebox
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would highly recommend vegetarianism to anyone considering it.

I don't think everyone 'should' be a vegetarian, because I think it depends very much on a personal set of ethics. But I found I couldn't resolve eating meat with my own moral code. And it was easy. Staggeringly easier than I thought it would be. Well worth it for a clear conscience.
idon'tloveanyone
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
... why vegetarian but not vegan? :confused:
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
been a vegitarian for over 5 years now..

Dont even really think about it any more, or meat in general, its just became how I live - and how I cook.. its quite cheap, pretty healthy (never had any health problems) - plenty of nice food.. its just became habbit.

I can see how it would be difficult for people who dont really like cooking though.. or who consider a meal to be mainly meet+side (chicken and rice, meet + chips, meet + potatoes) etc.. I mean, you can only really do vegitarianism cheaply.. if your willing to learn how to cook.. atleast covering the basics..

- one thing I would say, is that I dispise the notion that vegitarianism has to bee all or nothing..

For me it is nothing, as I just dont really ever crave/desire meat..

But the notion that its awful if a vegitarian eats a single meet product, and has to be religeously strict with their consuption of anything animal based.. annoys me greatly.

Sure, if you are like that, great - and all the better for you..

But any reduction in meet/animal product consumption is good..

If we take percentage of average meet concuption.. put a normal person at 100% and a true vegan at 0%.. Then the way some strict and militant vegans would have you believe, is that everything from 100-1% is awful and horrible and bad.. and 0% is good..

But no!

If you just cut your meat consumption by half.. or even less.. maybe just take a few days a week, and dont eat meet-based-meals on those days.. then you are making a good step, and helping to reduce the problem! - And you should not be frowned upon for doing so..

Every bit of reduction is good (in line with the vegitarian/vegan eithics) and should be incouraged, not just people who choose all or nothing..
IlexBlue
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But... but... chicken...
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Have to admit that i have cut my meat consumption although that's mainly for health rather than ethical reasons. The fact that i'm considering becoming vegetarian though is progress in itself considering that a few years i held the 'animals are here to serve our needs' position.

(Original post by Ggmu!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree. I support fish for food being restricted to fish farms rather than trawling the open ocean.
Swanbow
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I need to eat less meat, particularly beef, it'd be healthier on my heart and wallet. But I'm so used to cooking meals where meat is the integral part of the dish it is difficult to change. Had a vegetarian Chorizo wrap at a festival this summer which was pretty tasty though.
RunningInHeels
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm vegetarian due to health reasons too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Converse Rocker
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by IlexBlue)
But... but... chicken...
Less appealing when I imagine the animal cramped up in a cage surrounded by its own faeces after having its beak hacked off.

(Original post by idon'tloveanyone)
... why vegetarian but not vegan? :confused:

Whole milk could be an invaluable tool for weight gain and I'm yet to find a vegan alternative that offers the same availability/calories/price. I know about soy but it's not hard to find all the oestrogen scare stories, whethere they're true or not I'm not sure.
Shawshank
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't buy battery farmed meat. I know that the ethics of "free-range" chickens is still less than ideal but it makes me feel somewhat better about my decisions. If I could afford it I'd buy grass-fed everything, ideally from a local farmer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (4)
36.36%
The paper was reasonable (2)
18.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (1)
9.09%
It was TERRIBLE (4)
36.36%

Watched Threads