How often/long do you revise independently....? (university) Watch

Sazh
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm currently a first year at uni, and was wondering how often students revise. Of course its different for different uni's and courses as well as even students - who may just want a 'pass' rather than a good grade at 2.1 or 1st class. I received 4 essays plus an assignment at the beginning of November and have already done two of them, with the deadines for all of them around December-ish. However, I do want a good grade and don't just want a typical pass at 2.2 or less, mainly because I'm planning to do postgrad as well. So how often should I be aiming for...? (I know 1st year doesn't really count - but the subject I'm doing is quite new to me and few students in my classes have background knowledge).
Sazh
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
2nd year and 3rd yeas can also feel free to post too...let me know if you're study habits have changed the next following year, by more or less or the same.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sazh)
I'm currently a first year at uni, and was wondering how often students revise. Of course its different for different uni's and courses as well as even students - who may just want a 'pass' rather than a good grade at 2.1 or 1st class. I received 4 essays plus an assignment at the beginning of November and have already done two of them, with the deadines for all of them around December-ish. However, I do want a good grade and don't just want a typical pass at 2.2 or less, mainly because I'm planning to do postgrad as well. So how often should I be aiming for...? (I know 1st year doesn't really count - but the subject I'm doing is quite new to me and few students in my classes have background knowledge).
I only start revising in the Easter holidays for around 4-5 hours a day, I've done 6 exams so far over the last two years and got 5 2:1's and a 2:2.. Don't have January exams.
Hedgeman49
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sazh)
I did maths so a bit different. But in first year I did problem sheets for maybe 8-10 hours a week (sometimes less sometimes more) and then when lectures finished and we were preparing for exams I was putting in a lot of hours. 60+ hours a week for the 3 weeks or so before the exams.

In second year I lost my way a bit and my hours (and grades) dropped.

Final year I was working harder, maybe 12 hours a week of problems and general revision and then in second semester I did a project instead of one of my exams. This took up a lot of time for what it was worth (6% of my degree) and varied from 6 hours a week at the start to 30 hours a week near completion.

This is on top of about 15 hours of contact time (more contact time in first year, less later on).

I ended up getting a first (just) but the people who did better than me either (a) worked harder (very possible), (b) were naturally smarter or (c) both. I probably did an average amount of work for a 2:1 student and lucked out on my grade.
smd4std
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
first year biomed haven't started revising yet got workbooks to do instead
senz72
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I literally do no work whatsoever even though I have the time to do it. I've become so lazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Brit_Miller
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I study maths too. We don't get too much contact time, usually 12 hours a week. My attendance isn't great (~60%) but I put in a good 20-30 hours of self-study which I find more useful a lot of the time. If I have an assignment I start it straight away and usually finish within a couple of weeks to make sure I get as high a mark as possible (coursework is guaranteed marks in my opinion!) As it approaches exam season, I'll quite often do at least 6-8 hours revision a day to make sure I know (and understand) every topic. I've always gotten 80+ marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (487)
31.16%
The paper was reasonable (603)
38.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.38%
It was TERRIBLE (217)
13.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed