Don't know what 4th A Level to take? Watch

AEHD23
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone, I'm a bit stuck on what 4th A Level to take... I'm currently thinking of taking History, English Literature and French. I want to study History at university, so I was wondering what other subject would be good to take? I was thinking Philosophy or Geography but I'm not sure... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
LovePeaceAwesome
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by I Wear A Fez Now)
Hi everyone, I'm a bit stuck on what 4th A Level to take... I'm currently thinking of taking History, English Literature and French. I want to study History at university, so I was wondering what other subject would be good to take? I was thinking Philosophy or Geography but I'm not sure... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
to be honest, you don't have to know for certain now (i'd say until sept 2014 it's okay not to know), as long as you apply to colleges that do both so that you have your options open until you decide.
I think that both Philosophy and Geography are both good choices and you have very strong subjects. Looking at the specification for both subjects may help. I'd say Geo, as I think that the skills you'd get in a level geo are more relevant to a history degree than the skills you'd get in philosophy a level, but I may be wrong! I'm doing AS philosophy and I find it interesting and it's a great subject but it is hard at first (In my college, a lot of people dropped it in the first month)
What about classical civ? since that's still history?
Also, check on varies universities' websites to see if there are any subject requirements or suggestions!
Hopes this helps!
AEHD23
Rep:
?
Thanks that was very detailed! My school doesn't do classical civ but if it did I would definitely take it because it looks really interesting! You're right I don't have to make an immediate choice, I'll definitely think about it more and everything you've said
Emma:-)
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would look into doing geography.
I did it at a-level and loved it. I found it really interesting. It might be just me, but i think it would complement history quite nicely as well.
AEHD23
Rep:
?
Thanks! I really enjoy Geography so I suppose it might be worth taking.
lucas13
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
just do the one you like best, you have a good combination anyway
HenryD
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can't recommend philosophy highly enough if you're willing to engage with and read around the material.
cathrg26
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Economics or RS/Philosophy? I wouldn't recommend taking Geog in terms of exam time, they often put them on the same day (especially if it's the same exam board), because many don't take both.
cookiecrumblexx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
you will need to pick a subject that is not essay based due to the rest of your subjects being of this nature. you must come across as a well rounded individual and therefore I would like you to consider taking on a subject like biology or something that would give you a break from all the tedious essay writing you would have to be doing with your chosen subjects. I am in the same boat as you I have to choose my a levels soon and i am considering biology English literature history (FAV subject) theatre studies and perhaps chemistry. I have to dwindle my list down to 4 lol good luck to me :P
AEHD23
Rep:
?
(Original post by cookiecrumblexx)
you will need to pick a subject that is not essay based due to the rest of your subjects being of this nature. you must come across as a well rounded individual and therefore I would like you to consider taking on a subject like biology or something that would give you a break from all the tedious essay writing you would have to be doing with your chosen subjects. I am in the same boat as you I have to choose my a levels soon and i am considering biology English literature history (FAV subject) theatre studies and perhaps chemistry. I have to dwindle my list down to 4 lol good luck to me :P
Thanks I have considered doing a science, however I'm worried I might find it too difficult and risky as I'm not particularly great at any of them haha. I definitely get your point though, I suppose biology would be the most straightforward so I'll think on that
cookiecrumblexx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks I have considered doing a science, however I'm worried I might find it too difficult and risky as I'm not particularly great at any of them haha. I definitely get your point though, I suppose biology would be the most straightforward so I'll think on that
no problem. i am the same i don't think science is my cup of tea however i love human biology and it will make us stand out from a large crowd of applicants when we apply for university. for biology i was told that it is mostly a learning subject so as long as you can store a vast amount of information and have a good memory it should be okay
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (487)
31.16%
The paper was reasonable (603)
38.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.38%
It was TERRIBLE (217)
13.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed