Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'll be self-studying maths and further maths, along with physics and AS chemistry. Since I'll want to do physics at uni, doing all the mechanics modules would make sense. However, M3 - M5 is bare on resources, with there only being about one board specific textbook per board, sometimes (trying to be) sold for £200+ each. So I figure I'll try M1 and M2 and, if it's not ridiculously hard, maybe I'll do M3, M4, M5. But it's probably better to get a higher grade doing Decisions or Statistics than a lower one with extra Mechanics, right?

What is your experiences with these boards in maths? How were the books? How was Mechanics 3-5 and the support for it, if you did it?

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend Edexcel. Ultimately you're going to be interested in doing as much Further Pure and Mechanics as possible. With Edexcel, this is possible, either by doing C1-4, FP1-3, and M1-5, or by straying into the realms of triple maths. With AQA this is not possible, as they have four Further Pure modules, and do not cover more content in them than Edexcel do in 3.

For Edexcel, the old Heinemann M3 book is good. The only books you can easily get for M4 and M5 are the new Pledger ones, for which the M4 book is atrocious and the M5 one fairly decent. I can't comment on AQA's resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    I would recommend Edexcel. Ultimately you're going to be interested in doing as much Further Pure and Mechanics as possible. With Edexcel, this is possible, either by doing C1-4, FP1-3, and M1-5, or by straying into the realms of triple maths. With AQA this is not possible, as they have four Further Pure modules, and do not cover more content in them than Edexcel do in 3.

For Edexcel, the old Heinemann M3 book is good. The only books you can easily get for M4 and M5 are the new Pledger ones, for which the M4 book is atrocious and the M5 one fairly decent. I can't comment on AQA's resources.
    How so? Also, which book would you recommend as an alternative?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the input so far.

ReputationRep:
    Bumparu!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khallil)
    How so? Also, which book would you recommend as an alternative?
    I heard the Pledger M4/M5 books were full of typos and incorrect answers.

The C1/C2 ones (all I've looked at so far) are great. Just reading an example then doing questions, it seems that everything clicks almost straight away.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Hmm.
    I'm hoping to do all the mechanics modules once C1-4 are done. Any idea what the requisite knowledge is for them? I had heard that M1/2 are doable with C1/2, but any further than that will need C3 at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    I'm hoping to do all the mechanics modules once C1-4 are done. Any idea what the requisite knowledge is for them? I had heard that M1/2 are doable with C1/2, but any further than that will need C3 at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Look at your board's specification, it'll say specifically there.

(Original post by addylad)
    I heard the Pledger M4/M5 books were full of typos and incorrect answers.

The C1/C2 ones (all I've looked at so far) are great. Just reading an example then doing questions, it seems that everything clicks almost straight away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The yellow ones? I heard that as well, though one guy said it doesn't matter since you should be able to tell when they're wrong. Then again he might've just been being cocky.

ReputationRep:
    Ah there's still time, go on, have a bump.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 26, 2013

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.