How do I use a titration in the break down of hydrogen peroxide? Watch

OwenJenkins12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am doing some coursework for my AP chemistry and I need to measure the rate the hydrogen peroxide breaks down using a titration. I don't know what chemicals, i'd use or how to do it! It would be great if somebody could tell me what chemicals i would need (including volumes and concentrations) and how I would use a titration to work out the rate of reaction!

Thank-you for helping me
addylad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by OwenJenkins12)
I am doing some coursework for my AP chemistry and I need to measure the rate the hydrogen peroxide breaks down using a titration. I don't know what chemicals, i'd use or how to do it! It would be great if somebody could tell me what chemicals i would need (including volumes and concentrations) and how I would use a titration to work out the rate of reaction!

Thank-you for helping me
Use acetic acid as your solvent. Add excess KI. Gently mix. Add starch indicator. Titrate the liberated iodine with thiosulphate from blue-back to clear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OwenJenkins12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by addylad)
Use acetic acid as your solvent. Add excess KI. Gently mix. Add starch indicator. Titrate the liberated iodine with thiosulphate from blue-back to clear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank-you!

Please could you tell me what volumes and concentration of those chemicals I should use? Im using 5vol hydrogen peroxide. Also, how would I use the titration to work of the rate of reaction and a value for k?
addylad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by OwenJenkins12)
Thank-you!

Please could you tell me what volumes and concentration of those chemicals I should use? Im using 5vol hydrogen peroxide. Also, how would I use the titration to work of the rate of reaction and a value for k?
By 5vol do you mean 5 M? You should be able to calculate it by creating some equations and looking at the mole ratios. Since you know your starting concentration of hydrogen peroxide, you should be able to work out the molarity of sodium thiosulphate you'll need to get a decent titre.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (491)
31.1%
The paper was reasonable (608)
38.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (258)
16.34%
It was TERRIBLE (222)
14.06%

Watched Threads