Is there any chance? Watch

curious-student
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Okay, well recently I got my GCSE grades back, which were 2 distinction Stars, 3A*s, 7As and 2Bs.

I always had hoped to have a chance at applying for Oxbridge, however with my grades I'm not sure if there is any chance that they will even give me a second glance.

Also, I'm not entirely sure whether or not they look at the year group as a whole and compare as, although my grades weren't that high, my school is newly opened to replace a failing school, and I obtained the 3rd best result in my year group.

At my new school, they are suggesting that if you have any less than 6a*s then there's no point in even trying. Is this true? :confused:

Thanks alot! x
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would say it's always worth trying if you want to go. The worst that can happen is that you don't get in.
Colmans
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by curious-student)
Okay, well recently I got my GCSE grades back, which were 2 distinction Stars, 3A*s, 7As and 2Bs.

I always had hoped to have a chance at applying for Oxbridge, however with my grades I'm not sure if there is any chance that they will even give me a second glance.

Also, I'm not entirely sure whether or not they look at the year group as a whole and compare as, although my grades weren't that high, my school is newly opened to replace a failing school, and I obtained the 3rd best result in my year group.

At my new school, they are suggesting that if you have any less than 6a*s then there's no point in even trying. Is this true? :confused:

Thanks alot! x
For Cambridge it is mostly about AS (results in the 90%+ average range) not GCSEs. What subject? I would say Medicine no point but many other things yes.
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I applied to Oxford for English with almost identical GCSEs and A*AAa, (plus 49/60 on the ELAT), and got an interview. The interview then becomes the major factor and I let myself down, but for common subjects those grades certainly won't damn your chances.

As others have said if you are confident of scoring very highly in your A-Level UMS you may want to consider Cambridge instead of Oxford, as the latter care more about GCSEs (though as I have illustrated, not so much as to make it pointless to apply there if you prefer).
curious-student
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
I applied to Oxford for English with almost identical GCSEs and A*AAa, (plus 49/60 on the ELAT), and got an interview. The interview then becomes the major factor and I let myself down, but for common subjects those grades certainly won't damn your chances.

As others have said if you are confident of scoring very highly in your A-Level UMS you may want to consider Cambridge instead of Oxford, as the latter care more about GCSEs (though as I have illustrated, not so much as to make it pointless to apply there if you prefer).
Ah, thanks for the advice! Well done on the the interview and your results too, by the way. Having finished my AS exams, doing well, but realistically probably not well enough for Cambridge/Oxford, I've recently applied to a few other unis that seem to be doing well in Biology. Not quite in the same league as Oxbridge, but pretty good nonetheless, my main ones are now Lancaster and Sheffield. But thanks again for the help, it's refreshing to know that not all unis exclude people for the exams that they sat years prior to applying!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How has 2019 been so far?