The Student Room Group

Course requirement: A*AA. My friend did her A-levels before the A* grade was intro...

My friend wants to apply to a course which requires A*AA AT A-level. She achieved AAA before the A* grade was introduced. What's the policy on this?
Reply 1
zen zey vill askh vor UMS overe 90 in ze A2 unieets
I would think the universities would realise the A level was taken before the release of the A*, and would formulate a judgement accordingly. I would recommend she put her UMS score though.
Reply 3
Provided she has at least a 90% average in one of her A-Levels, there's no reason for them to have a problem with it provided she mentions this.
Reply 4
We did our A-levels 15 years ago before the AS/A2 distinction. They were linear and there was no UMS breakdown.
Original post by qwertyking
We did our A-levels 15 years ago before the AS/A2 distinction. They were linear and there was no UMS breakdown.

This needs to be stated in the personal statement and in the reference and your friend still needs to be prepared for a rejection and then arguing the toss.

Whilst universities should realise the position, you can't get the staff any more. :smile: Admissions staff in universities may well be recent graduates (or even current students) and they may not realise that the world was any different to what it now is.

This should be stated in your reference, and your friend should make sure that she applies to some AAA / AAB unis too.

Do be aware that universities often want to see evidence of recent study, which often comes in the form of an Access to HE course, though this can vary.

It might be worth contacting individual admissions departments and asking what their policy on this is. This will at least save wasted choices on the UCAS application.

I agree that clearly stating this in the reference would be a good idea too.

However, it would also be a good idea to target some AAA universities too.
Reply 8
Thanks everyone. Yes, my friend is going to phone the uni and take it from there.
Reply 9
Getting an AAA 15 years ago is probably worth an A*A*A today. (Thanks to Tony Blair the worthless buffoon dumbing down the education system)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending