Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on applying for the Applied Social Science course at RGU for 2014 but since I already live in Aberdeen I'd be staying at home. Is anyone else planning on staying at home or has anyone else stayed at home during their university experience?

I am terrified that because I won't be living in halls I won't make friends. Can anyone who lived at home and had a good experience please help me and ease my mind and maybe give me advice on how to meet people when I go? I am trying to decide as to whether I should go to halls (there really is no point as I live right next to a bus stop which takes me straight to the RGU campus) or stay at home!

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Move into halls for 1st year then move back home. It's worth it and that's what I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chur)
    Move into halls for 1st year then move back home. It's worth it and that's what I did.
    Was it hard moving back into your house after having had that independence for a year?

ReputationRep:
    Its one of my choices, if I do go there i'll be staying at home and had the same reservations as you. But the thought of getting my cooking, cleaning, ironing, washing done and having my comfy bedroom and home surroundings is more important to me than staying in halls if I am in the same city. Worried I will miss out on the social life though. But think about it this way, you could use the money you would have spent on halls to travel/go on vacation or other experiences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goawayamy)
    Was it hard moving back into your house after having had that independence for a year?
    No actually an I am quite surprised with that to be honest. I am at uni at afternoons now so I don't see my family that much and I'm at home on my own half the day anyway. Also it depends on how you get on with your flatmates. I didn't really talk to mine because I made friends with people from my course instead. I suppose if you are close to your flatmates then it could be weird moving home in 2nd year. But just live out for at least a year for the experience I say. I would love to live out again and I but my course is 5/6 years long so it would cost too much.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in rgu halls this year, would definitely recommend doing it if you get the chance. There's folk on my course who are living at home and they've made their friends through that and seem to be doing fine though. I would say it's handier living in halls for doing group assignments though as it's easier to get to halls than to individual houses

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Halls are a great experience and something I'd definitely recommend for people who would otherwise commute from outside the city, but if you already live there then the case becomes less compelling.

It's definitely far easier to create and maintain a social life in halls, but I suppose it depends on how precious the money is to you.

University open days

• Robert Gordon University
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 29 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.