The Student Room Group

vector q

I need help with a). I can't do it because I don't know the relationship between the sizes of OA and OB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cooldudeman
I need help with a). I can't do it because I don't know the relationship between the sizes of OA and OB

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need to know the relationship between their "sizes". It would help to draw a good diagram though.

You're basically dealing with similar triangles.

Posted from TSR Mobile

PQ parallel to OB implies that PQ=μOB for some μ \overline{PQ}=\mu \overline{OB} \mathrm{\ for\ some\ } \mu and we know that OP=23OA \overline{OP}=\frac{2}{3} \overline{OA}
Let AQ=λAB for some λ \overline {AQ}=\lambda \overline{AB} \mathrm{\ for\ some\ }\lambda
Now notice that the position vector of Q may be written as
Unparseable latex formula:

\overline{OP}+\overlinje{PQ} \mathrm{\ or\ }\overline{OA}+\overline{AQ}

Comparingt the two forms you should be able to deduce the value of λ\lambda and then answer the question.
Original post by ghostwalker
You don't need to know the relationship between their "sizes". It would help to draw a good diagram though.

You're basically dealing with similar triangles.

The question specified the method to be used which was not similar triangles
Original post by brianeverit
The question specified the method to be used which was not similar triangles

I didn't say it was. It was a hint to the OP to get the relevant information on a diagram, rather than spelling out all the details :sigh:
Reply 5
I didn't say it was. It was a hint to the OP to get the relevant information on a diagram, rather than spelling out all the details :sigh:

nope I still can't do it. this is what I tried

Posted from TSR Mobile
nope I still can't do it. this is what I tried

Posted from TSR Mobile

You want everything in terms of OA and OB.

So you know OP is 2/3 OA for example.

Rather than use OQ = OP+PA+AQ, use OQ = OP + PQ, because you know PQ is parallel to OB, and hence equal sOB for some unknown s.
Reply 7
You want everything in terms of OA and OB.

So you know OP is 2/3 OA for example.

Rather than use OQ = OP+PA+AQ, use OQ = OP + PQ, because you know PQ is parallel to OB, and hence equal sOB for some unknown s.

OK so the position vector can be written as 2/3OA + xOB, but what would you equate this to? I was thinking OA + AC but I can't get AC in terms of OA and OB

Posted from TSR Mobile
OK so the position vector can be written as 2/3OA + xOB, but what would you equate this to? I was thinking OA + AC but I can't get AC in terms of OA and OB

Posted from TSR Mobile

AC is some, as yet unknown, multiple of AB, and you can get AB in terms of OA and OB.

This introduces a second unknown.

Since the two positon of Q are the same, you can equate these.

You now need to think how you can work out the unknowns - just be looking at, and possibly rearranging, the equation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
AC is some, as yet unknown, multiple of AB, and you can get AB in terms of OA and OB.

This introduces a second unknown.

Since the two positon of Q are the same, you can equate these.

You now need to think how you can work out the unknowns - just be looking at, and possibly rearranging, the equation.

I meant AQ instead of AC sorry.
anyway everything seem to be cancelling out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hey, I think you can solve it using the intercept theorem. :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercept_thm
I meant AQ instead of AC sorry.
anyway everything seem to be cancelling out

Posted from TSR Mobile

You seem to have gone round the houses a bit.

Note that AB = OB - OA

So, AQ = p(OB-OA)

Edit: From scratch, I would have done:

OP+ PQ = OB + BQ

So, (2/3) OA + x OB = OB + y (BA)

Then, (2/3) OA + x OB = Ob + y (OB - OA)

etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
You seem to have gone round the houses a bit.

Note that AB = OB - OA

So, AQ = p(OB-OA)

Edit: From scratch, I would have done:

OP+ PQ = OB + BQ

So, (2/3) OA + x OB = OB + y (BA)

Then, (2/3) OA + x OB = Ob + y (OB - OA)

etc.

i was just trying to look at your scratch one, and I still cant figure out how you work out the unknowns. please could you tell me, im no good at this.
i was just trying to look at your scratch one, and I still cant figure out how you work out the unknowns. please could you tell me, im no good at this.

I got that slightly wrong. Should have used BA = OA - OB,

Now, if you get all the OAs on one side and OBs on the other, then you end up with

[(2/3) - y] OA = (1-y-x) OB

Since OA and OB are not parallel, the only way this can be true is if the scalars are zero. So, (2/3) - y = 0 and 1-y-x = 0

So y = 2/3 and x = 1/3.

The x values is of no use to use.

From the y values we have BQ = 2/3 BA

From which we can deduce QA = 1/3 BA, since BQ + QA = BA

And you're virtually done.

Quick Reply

Latest