HELP!-Housemates have bought a cat Watch

Saintman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there,

Asking for help as to what I can do about my housemates buying a cat in my student house (2nd year). I am not a cat person. The last few months in jest (or so I thought) one housemate has been saying lets get a cat which 2 others agreed with (there are 6 of us). When asking me about it I have made a point of saying "no I do not want a cat it will only create further mess to clean up and cost money".

Whilst walking home from Uni today I was scrolling through twitter to find that my housemate had tweeted "we're getting a kitten" I thought at first this must be joke as they know my opinion on the matter. I get home and question whether its a joke to which I get the reply "ummm we're actually going to pick up a kitten" I further said are you serious please tell me your joking. Low and behold an hour later they return with a kitten.

I am a chilled guy, I often do not voice an opinion to remain out of arguments but have clearly stated I do not wish for a kitten to be brought in the house. Its not even staying in their bedrooms but the living room/kitchen, even when I tried compromising by saying well let it stay in the bathroom so it doesn't scratch or have an accident they refused saying the lady said it was trained (its 9 weeks).

The help I ask for is, am I being to 'out of order' by being negative towards the idea? What should I do as they clearly do not take my opinion seriously as they have went behind my back and got one. What should I do?

P.S. they haven't even checked it through with our landlord/estate agents.
smd4std
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
if you were an alpha male you would have things your way

my tip:
go up to the largest male and shank him in the left knee cap and punch him across the face.
assert your dominance.
and show them you mean business
Noble.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, it's totally out of order to get a cat when not everyone has agreed to it. Also it's pretty damn irresponsible to get a pet like a cat when living as a student in that kind of house arrangement. Having said that, there's nothing really you can do about it now unless you want to tell the landlord/estate agent, which probably won't end well if there's a "no pets without permission" policy in the lease (which is very likely).
Swanbow
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why oh why do students see the need to get a pet at uni? A student flat is not the ideal environment for a cat to stay in, not to mention it is against most tenancy agreements. What happens at Christmas, or when you graduate? It is a stupid and ill thought idea that most people do on a whim because 'look how cute it is', bloody morons.

You could tolerate it. Or you could kick up a fuss. If the later go through your contract to see if it is allowed if you really want to kick up a fuss. If I was you I'd insist it stays in their room and not the communal area as you have ''allergies''.
Noble.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Swanbow)
Why oh why do students see the need to get a pet at uni? A student flat is not the ideal environment for a cat to stay in, not to mention it is against most tenancy agreements. What happens at Christmas, or when you graduate? It is a stupid and ill thought idea that most people do on a whim because 'look how cute it is', bloody morons.

You could tolerate it. Or you could kick up a fuss. If the later go through your contract to see if it is allowed if you really want to kick up a fuss. If I was you I'd insist it stays in their room and not the communal area as you have ''allergies''.
You answered your own question.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
for the sake of the cat, Tell the landlord.. and presumably, they force your flatmates to get rid of it.

As the other posters have said, cats are not the pets for student houses. that cat may live 15+ years, and the unstable enviroment of student life, where people come and go, and may move in a year, may have to leave in 2 years.. etc.. is just not fair on the cat. - and is a huge huge risk for the animal..

Its much better, and easier to re-home it now, whilst it is still young.. then to have to do it in 2-3 years, when it is settled, and older.

I love my cat to bits, and miss him to much.. but there is no way I would bring him, or another cat up in a uni lifestyle..

Save cats for after uni, and if they want something cute/cuddly for now, then atleast make it a hamster, or guinea pig/rabbit etc.. at least then they will only live 2-7 years (depending on animal) - but more importantly, can be moved/transported/re-homed much easier (say if the owner moves house, its a damn sight easier to take a hamster, then a cat..) or if circumstances change, its easier to deal with.. + its cheaper, and easier to manage mess wise..
ChocoCoatedLemons
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The ****? Tell the landlord, it's not fair for the cat to be put into that kind of situation. It's unstable and unsafe for an animal, especially a young one.
PC2852
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd take it to an animal shelter and then leave your door wide open so it looks like the cat got out.
PG593
Badges: 13
Report 5 years ago
Destroy them all!
1platinum
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think the best solution is if the kitten goes back to the people who had the litter. What will happen to it during the holidays and when everyone graduates? Owning a pet requires dedication and commitment and is also costly; so therefore is generally not suitable for students living in a houseshare.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do think this is a really bad situation to bring a pet into. They definately need to agree who has the ultimate responsibility for the cat if they move out, or if it gets ill and it being put down is a possibility.

However, to be fair, I do know several people who have had pets at university, and looked after them perfectly well and gone on to look after them once graduating. This does include a couple of people who have had cats, although they were mostly small caged pets.

If you start threatening to get the landlord involved this may cause serious problems. If no pets are allowed in the contract, he will probably ask them to rehome it. Most rehoming shelters at this time are full, and may not have space for another kitten. It may not be that easy to rehome privately, either. It will cause a lot of bad feeling between you and your housemates if you cause serious problems between them and the landlord. He may even look into the possibility of evicting them early, which could put you all in a really difficult situation.

I think the best thing to do is talk it over with everyone, and ask what will happen to the cat at christmas. If they have a sensible plan, then I would leave it alone, and just not live with them next year. If they don't, then maybe you need to look into options of forcing them to get rid of the cat. However, this will probably cause a lot of bad feeling, and you do have to live with them until may/june next year at the soonest.
Scoobster
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's a cat, not chlamydia.

Get over it.
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well.....I don't really like cats but I could probably live with one.

At the end of the day.... Do you really want to cause tension in the household over a cat?
Scoobster
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DorianGrayism)
Well.....I don't really like cats but I could probably live with one.

At the end of the day.... Do you really want to cause tension in the household over a car?
What's a car got to do with this situation? Is the cat stuck in a car or something?
Gjaykay
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It depends what your relationship with your flatmates is like, although they pretty much screwed you.
If you're very anti-cat, tell the landlord, which will cause problems with your flatmates and you get to have a big argument with them as they already got the cat, knowing your position.
If you just tolerate it and don't have a go at them, make no mistake, it's a cat for the flat, or will be eventually. You will end up paying money towards it and have to clean up after it. It's in the communal area, everyone will.
nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hope that the landlord/letting agency doesn't allow pets and they have to get rid of it? Who's going to pay vets bills, they can't make you pay when you didn't even want it. I'm allergic to cats so obviously would hate one in the house. And I don't think my housemates would get one knowing that I'm allergic. I also hate how they can climb up on tables and kitchen worktops which I think is unacceptably unhygienic even for a student house. What do they intend on doing in the holidays ? You can't just keep moving a cat, they get lost easily and it would get confused if it keeps moving every few weeks. Who's going to take it home in the holidays? If they're going back to stay with parents, are their parents ok with this ? What if they already have a pet and they don't get along? This is just going to cause hassle and be unfair on the cat.
sr90
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I could understand people getting goldfish, hamsters etc as pets but a cat is beyond stupid. What on earth happens when you graduate? I love cats as much as anyone but i'd never want one to live in our messy, tiny, freezing cold rented house!
pinkbullets
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is someone taking it home with them for Christmas? I second taking the poor little thing to an animal shelter before harm comes to it. Unless they do have a solid plan i.e. someone's staying in the house over the holidays and someone's agreed to take it home with them once you graduate.
la-dauphine
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would hesitate before taking it to a shelter. Animal shelters are not pleasant places and many animals aren't looked after properly and are never adopted. Some are even put down. Your housemates could also take legal action against you seeing as the kitten is theirs.

Owning a pet at university is an extremely risky venture and they're certainly not suited to unstable or unsafe environments, but to assume that these students are completely incapable of looking after one (as some people here have done) is unfair. Yes, it's ideal for pets to stay in one place, but it's not uncommon for non-students with pets to rent - especially in places like London - and move out at the end of the year. Similarly, many pets live in far from ideal situations (I know dog owners who work full time and have to hire dog walkers during the day). Animals are relatively adaptable. The stereotype that students are too poor or disorganised to look after someone else is also not necessarily true.

However, there are some things to consider:

-If this is a jointly owned pet, who is going to take responsibility after graduation? Won't there be some sort of a fall-out?

-Do your housemates have house parties/drink at home a lot? Is a kitten really suited to that kind of environment?

-Is it insured and are they going to have the money to be able to look after it?

-What's going to happen during the holidays?

-Does the landlord allow pets?

My advice to you is to check the tenancy agreement and, if there are no pets allowed, you should tell your friends that you're going to notify the landlord if they don't find alternative accommodation for the kitten. If the landlord is fine with pets, there's unfortunately really not much you can do. If your flatmates are responsible people and they have good answers to the above questions then I don't think there's an awful lot to be concerned about and you should just wait and see how it pans out, but the kitten's wellbeing is obviously important here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (67)
22.33%
The paper was reasonable (131)
43.67%
Not feeling great about that exam... (53)
17.67%
It was TERRIBLE (49)
16.33%

Watched Threads