Coventry Uni Watch

Jonny31
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Cov Uni are declining applications for BSc Adult nursing as they are now saying candidates should already have GCSE English and Maths on application and can't apply whilst studying the subjects,
Don't waste your option

Posted from TSR Mobile
SillyEddy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
GCSE English and maths are pretty much universal requirements for entry onto university courses.
Jonny31
Rep:
?
Students studying these should be allowed to achieve the grades before the uni term starts. Clearing is for students that fail to meet the grades which then allows the place to be pooled.

Posted from TSR Mobile
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jonny31)
Students studying these should be allowed to achieve the grades before the uni term starts. Clearing is for students that fail to meet the grades which then allows the place to be pooled.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In practical terms a mainstream candidate who doesn't have these on application has failed at least twice. Despite "third time lucky" this probably means that the applicant's skills are likely to be weak and Coventry obviously thinks not fitted to the course.
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wouldn't you have to fail either 3 or 4 times? (Once in year 10 if you take them early + years 11, 12 and 13). Just about every course at every university wants this, it's nothing new.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alow)
Wouldn't you have to fail either 3 or 4 times? (Once in year 10 if you take them early + years 11, 12 and 13). Just about every course at every university wants this, it's nothing new.
One of the points he is making is that they are not allowing the year 13 failure or pass
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
One of the points he is making is that they are not allowing the year 13 failure or pass
Thanks for clarifying, I misread the post

Still I agree with them that 2 or 3 fails of GCSE English or Maths is too many.
Jonny31
Rep:
?
I agree with failing exams 3,4,5 times is not good, I'm studying as an adult and retaking GCSE in English and Maths because 15 years ago I ****ed up ya school and never really needed the grades until now so here I am retaking them.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree with failing exams 3,4,5 times is not good, I'm studying as an adult and retaking GCSE in English and Maths because 15 years ago I F##ked up ya school and never really needed the grades until now so here I am retaking them.
I have to say that I regard this as perverse. Most universities rightly regard mature students as different. The can and do apply additional requirements to them (evidence of recent study), but also waive or vary requirements where the world has moved on.
graceey_bear
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
The nursing Requirements don't go down during clearing! trust me, I got into child branch that way at uni of notts and they stayed at BBB.

Gcse results come out a week later then a levels so basically if they offer you the place you can't accept till a week later yet they want to sort out clearing not have to wait another week to find your gace results out too. Bcu are also funny about this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jonny31
Rep:
?
(Original post by graceey_bear)
The nursing Requirements don't go down during clearing! trust me, I got into child branch that way at uni of notts and they stayed at BBB.

Gcse results come out a week later then a levels so basically if they offer you the place you can't accept till a week later yet they want to sort out clearing not have to wait another week to find your gace results out too. Bcu are also funny about this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BCU are a lot more student friendly as I have been offered places at BCU, Wolves and Worcester so can't have been that weak.

Your also correct in saying that the standards do not go down in clearing. Most of the time nursing degrees don't really offer the clearing service as the course is in very high demand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?