South Park (12)
80%
XMaramena
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
South park political correctness.

Now in my honest opinion, I believe political correctness has gone a little too far, and is biased towards the minority, rather than being equal between all, as it's supposed to be.

I like Family Guy and American Dad, yet I also have a slight favour on the average political viewpoints of Canadians rather than Americans [as they present themselves on international television] when looking at that region of the world. Yet, South Park has always gone too far for me, and every other episode, I've found personally offensive.

So my question is this: as a representative of good acceptance while still asking important political questions, do you think Family Guy or South Park is best written and published?
Vlad_Tepes
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think maybe you have been taking them both too seriously. First of all they are entertainment programs that make fun of everything without necessarily making a statement of any kind, it's just about being funny while sometimes they kind of send a message too. Talking about politics, racism or morality...usually they come to mock the hypocrisy of politics, stereotyping and everyday life cliches. I like watching them all, and i never found them offensive. And mentioning the political viewpoints of the Americans vs Canadians...i think they both (Macfarlane or Parker/Stone) use and abuse the dumb, redneck American stereotype in their shows, not to be offensive but being funny so as a Canadian i think you should be fine . Blame Canada! )
Creat0r
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone else have no idea what's being asked and just voted for their favourite programme?
Kiss
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
South Park is written perfectly. Family Guy is not what it used to be whereas American Dad is improving. As for political correctness, South Park does the best job at lampooning it in such episodes as:

-The Death Camp of Tolerance
-Cartoon Wars (1)
-Cartoon Wars (2)
justanotherposter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
South Park is satire, it's hard to be offended when they rip apart everyone and everything, they never really take a side, they will rip apart Islam,Christianity and atheism in equal measure for example. I'm not a massive fan of Family Guy but it always seems to just push Seth MacFarlane's political viewpoints which gets tiresome after a while and doesn't really make you think. The South Park writers have their own political opinions but usually leave them out of the show in favor of giving an argument for both sides of the coin, which is why I prefer their writing.
uktotalgamer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm sorry but I fail to see how anybody could take offence to a cartoon television show. Certain people have to learn to laugh at themselves rather than take offence to every little thing. These sorts of programs make us unique, we can laugh at ourselves. If you can't take it, don't watch it; don't make other people suffer because you don't have the stones.
ckingalt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is completely acceptable to behave in a racist, sexist, or bigoted manner as long as you are doing so satirically, in order to ridicule those very behaviors. That is why Family guy and South Park get away with it. Mel Brooks was doing the exact same thing nearly 40 years ago (Blazing Saddles). Mark Twain did the same thing nearly 130 years ago (Huckleberry Finn).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (405)
30.57%
The paper was reasonable (525)
39.62%
Not feeling great about that exam... (226)
17.06%
It was TERRIBLE (169)
12.75%

Watched Threads