photoelecricity help ??? Watch

JacobD96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
hey guys, could anyone answer these questions

• how do free electrons excite if they are not in atomic shells/ have ground states ?
  • is there's only one work function for a specific metal ? because say a photon didn't hit any free electrons it would hit an electron in the shell of ion/atom and wouldn't this type of electron require more energy to ionise/ emit from the surface of the metal than a free/delocalised electron, i.e. have a larger work function
  • is it only outer electron shell electrons that get excited ?
teachercol
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They don't 'excite' , they just get more energy.

Work function energy is defined as the minimum energy needed. Yes other electrons need more.

Any electrons in an atom can 'get excited'. I prefer to think about the atom as a whole being excited and having energy levels.
Mário
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JacobD96)

• how do free electrons excite if they are not in atomic shells/ have ground states ?
  • is there's only one work function for a specific metal ? because say a photon didn't hit any free electrons it would hit an electron in the shell of ion/atom and wouldn't this type of electron require more energy to ionise/ emit from the surface of the metal than a free/delocalised electron, i.e. have a larger work function
  • is it only outer electron shell electrons that get excited ?
As far as I know:

• The free electrons don't get excited, they are simply moving from the negative terminal to the positive one when a potential difference is applied across the metal
  • Don't understand this question
  • Nope, any electron in the atom can be excited to a different energy state (or even freed from the atom) if enough energy is present

I suggest looking at this
Stonebridge
Badges: 10
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JacobD96)

[*]how do free electrons excite if they are not in atomic shells/ have ground states ?
So-called "free" electrons don't excite.
I suspect, though, that this is not what you mean.
Electrons in the metal still need energy to escape from the surface.

[*]is there's only one work function for a specific metal ?
Yes.

because say a photon didn't hit any free electrons it would hit an electron in the shell of ion/atom and wouldn't this type of electron require more energy to ionise/ emit from the surface of the metal than a free/delocalised electron,
yes

i.e. have a larger work function
No
The work function is not a property of the electron, it's a property of the metal. It's the minimum energy required to eject an electron. Some will require more.

[*]is it only outer electron shell electrons that get excited ?
Not necessarily. If an incomimg photon has enough energy (X-ray or gamma ray maybe) it could eject a deeper electron.
teachercol
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Nice consistency guys
Stonebridge
Badges: 10
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by teachercol)

Nice consistency guys
Simultaneous replies.
JacobD96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
ok cooooool

so the work function is not neccesarily the same as the ionisation energy need to emit an electron from its ground state, just the minimum energy needed for any electron emission from that metal i.e the work function = the minimum ionisation energy
teachercol
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its not really ionisation. The electrons released are not the ones attached to atoms; they are the free electrons in the metal. We just refer to this as emission rather than ionisation. .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (143)
21.22%
The paper was reasonable (329)
48.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (126)
18.69%
It was TERRIBLE (76)
11.28%

Watched Threads