The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

First year timetable @ RHUL (Marketing if possible)

Whats the first year timetable like at holloway? Does anyone know what it is like for management and marketing? thanks!:tongue:
I'm currently at Royal Holloway doing Management - in the first year, all Management students have the same timetable, irrespective of the pathway you've chosen (in your case, Marketing). This is so that all students can have a taster of what each discipline within Management involves and whether you are sure about the pathway you've chosen.

Typically, you'll be doing four modules per term, with three teaching hours per module per week. That works out to two lectures and one seminar for every module. Total teaching time is 12 hours per week.

It's very well spread out and you also get Wednesdays completely off, which is intended for students to use the day to complete pending assignments or extra-curricular activities. :smile:

You are typically done for the day by 6 pm, and you get enough time to complete your work in the gaps you get in between lectures and workshops!

Hopefully that answers your questions! :smile:
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by TheCommunique
I'm currently at Royal Holloway doing Management - in the first year, all Management students have the same timetable, irrespective of the pathway you've chosen (in your case, Marketing). This is so that all students can have a taster of what each discipline within Management involves and whether you are sure about the pathway you've chosen.

Typically, you'll be doing four modules per term, with three teaching hours per module per week. That works out to two lectures and one seminar for every module. Total teaching time is 12 hours per week.

It's very well spread out and you also get Wednesdays completely off, which is intended for students to use the day to complete pending assignments or extra-curricular activities. :smile:

You are typically done for the day by 6 pm, and you get enough time to complete your work in the gaps you get in between lectures and workshops!

Hopefully that answers your questions! :smile:

Wow that helps so much! Do you think you could answer a few questions about the course am RHUL itself?

Such as:

Where do you stay?
Do you enjoy the course? Can you cope with social life and all the work load?
Do you recommend having a job?
As well as do you have lectures on Saturday and Sunday?

Thank you so much!!!
Original post by lucia17
Wow that helps so much! Do you think you could answer a few questions about the course am RHUL itself?

Such as:

Where do you stay?
Do you enjoy the course? Can you cope with social life and all the work load?
Do you recommend having a job?
As well as do you have lectures on Saturday and Sunday?

Thank you so much!!!

I live off-campus, but I do not think living on- or off-campus affects your social life too much. I know people from both categories, and I haven't heard of off-campus students being disadvantaged by not living in Halls or vice-versa.

I absolutely love the course, given its flexibility and the freedom you get to choose topics especially when it comes to Assignments. The lecturers/tutors are all very approachable and this only makes it easier to clarify any doubts, if you need to.

The first term is seemingly a breeze and would mostly be a revision of things you've studied at A-Level or equivalent. Into the second term, things can get a little difficult and it's hard to keep on top of everything - having said that though, you can definitely have a good social life if you can keep the balance and know when to prioritise certain activities. I would say that it all boils down to being able to strike the right chord between the two!

You could certainly have a job in your first term, given you have three days off (Wed and the weekend). However, I would recommend that you make this decision after you come to University and attend a few lectures yourself, and decide after you get a feel of whether you will be able to simultaneously manage both academics and a part-time job. There are loads of on-campus jobs available and these are advertised during Freshers Week, so you can have a look then. Above all, anything within Egham is advisable, because it can become stressful to have to travel excessively just for work and lose time that you should actually be devoting to studying.

And no, we do not have any lectures on Saturday and Sunday - it isn't called a weekend for nothing :smile:

Hope that helped and feel free to ask any other questions if you have any!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending