Getting companies to donate? Watch

Maya2000
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
*dont know if this is in the right place*
I've decided for my forms charity day (raising money for muscular dystrophy) that I will contact lots of companies and ask for them to donate free stuff that we can raffle.
I'm not the best speaker, so would much prefer to email my letter rather than speak in store/ phone, however if it does eventually come to it, I will!
Anyway, has anyone done this before, and if so, are there any key elements I should write in my letter (I've already emphasised how I'm 'only 13', and how unfortunate the condition is for the boys who have it) and which companies are the most genourous to write too?
Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pariah
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Charities are unlikely to be keen to donate to support another charity which may have different objectives. One charity supporting another would not raise money for charity, just move it around between charities. You should approach local businesses instead.
member841230
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, you'll have more success approaching businesses. It's basically a numbers game - if you contact enough, some will donate. If they don't, just approach others. It might be worth mentioning what the businesses will get out of it (eg brand exposure, warm inner glow, etc...).
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
charities are often unable ( in law ) to donate to other charities or any other organisation.

please go away and either do the research or get a grown up to help ...
member841230
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by zippyRN)
charities are often unable ( in law ) to donate to other charities or any other organisation.

please go away and either do the research or get a grown up to help ...
Chill. There's no need to be a spoilsport.
Maya2000
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ahh....I meant "getting companies to donate for charity"
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I googled to find a list of which companies had previously supported the charity I was raising for and contacted those

also contact people who are in the area and so forth as they can then get some exposure

think about what the company will be able to give you realistically, a large chain like tescos is pointless bc the managers will be unable to authorise anything themselves, a local corner shop doesn't have anything that will be very worth donating, somewhere like dominoes the manager is able to make a decision and they can easily arrange a free pizza (which is also advertising for them), a local coffee shop could offer a free drink voucher/gift card etc

this can give you some bigger prizes then you can get cheap chocolate etc to use for smaller ones

I wouldn't necessarily emphasise your age as it might make them think you're not as capable of organising a proper event, you can offer to display a poster/give out a flyer at your stall though if they support you, make sure you do ask in plenty of time and email is better as the person you speak to on the phone is unlikely to be the right person to answer you and you will end up being passed around, having to call repeatedly or just being forgotten about
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (132)
24.86%
The paper was reasonable (234)
44.07%
Not feeling great about that exam (102)
19.21%
It was TERRIBLE (63)
11.86%

Watched Threads