Mathematics Watch

Laurenp2013
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I know rather basic, but when working out averages such as means, do you work with decimal places or significant figures? Because you are adding all the data it should be decimal places, but you are also dividing by the amount of data you have, which dividing normally means significant figures...help! Thanks for any help
brianeverit
  • Study Helper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Laurenp2013)
I know rather basic, but when working out averages such as means, do you work with decimal places or significant figures? Because you are adding all the data it should be decimal places, but you are also dividing by the amount of data you have, which dividing normally means significant figures...help! Thanks for any help
It could be either depending on the data and the accuracy required.
Laurenp2013
Rep:
?
Levels of water, accuracy 0.5 mm, all taken to 2 sig figs, surely be sig figs? Am I right?
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Levels of water, accuracy 0.5 mm, all taken to 2 sig figs, surely be sig figs? Am I right?
If you are saying that the data has been given to 2sf then, yes, your answers should be to 2sf
Laurenp2013
Rep:
?
(Original post by TenOfThem)
If you are saying that the data has been given to 2sf then, yes, your answers should be to 2sf
Yes just uncertain because means you add all data, normal when adding, you look at decimal places, only / and x you look at sig figs. I'm probably just over thinking it!
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes just uncertain because means you add all data, normal when adding, you look at decimal places, only / and x you look at sig figs. I'm probably just over thinking it!
it seems odd that the data is given to 2sf

does that mean the data differs greatly in size, do you have 56. 3.5. 290 for example
Laurenp2013
Rep:
?
it seems odd that the data is given to 2sf

does that mean the data differs greatly in size, do you have 56. 3.5. 290 for example
smaller values, 4.5, 3.5. Took the measurements to 0.5 mm graduations so uncertainty was o.5 mm.
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
smaller values, 4.5, 3.5. Took the measurements to 0.5 mm graduations so uncertainty was o.5 mm.
if they are all 3.5, 4,5, 6,5 etc then you could treat them as 1dp anyway
Laurenp2013
Rep:
?
if they are all 3.5, 4,5, 6,5 etc then you could treat them as 1dp anyway
But if I need to say which one it is, I can't just say dec pl if its sig fig, if you see what i mean? ...Oh I wish there was a handbook of this all, with every mathematical answer :/
Laurenp2013
Rep:
?
I don't know, my measuring jug is past it as well...but really if i'm working out a mean then doing a calculation for steam evaporation....if I wait until, I work out the Specific Capacity of water should be okay I'll just follow what I think. I am over thinking it too much I believe!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (200)
22.55%
The paper was reasonable (403)
45.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (165)
18.6%
It was TERRIBLE (119)
13.42%

Watched Threads