Councils to be given powers to ban peaceful protests that disturb local residents Watch

inspirationhitme
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Peaceful protests that disturb residents could be outlawed under new powers being handed to town halls.

The orders are intended to give local authorities the power to deter drinking, aggressive begging and dog-fouling from nuisance hotspots.

But civil rights campaigners fear they could be misused to crack-down on lawful demonstrators trying to make their point.

They could even be used to ban youngsters from skateboarding and teenagers from gathering in public parks.

The contentious new powers are contained within a little-noticed section of the Government’s Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Bill, currently going through Parliament.

The new public spaces protection orders (PSPOs) aim to give councils the authority to tackle low-level problems.
Links:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-8940535.html
Katie_p
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good!
It's bad enough having small groups of people wandering around at stupid o'clock causing disturbances, without having "peaceful protests" doing it on a bigger scale.

If there were a protest outside my house, whatever the cause, I'd be pretty blooming annoyed.
inspirationhitme
Rep:
?
(Original post by Katie_p)
Good!
It's bad enough having small groups of people wandering around at stupid o'clock causing disturbances, without having "peaceful protests" doing it on a bigger scale.

If there were a protest outside my house, whatever the cause, I'd be pretty blooming annoyed.
But protesting is how people get their opinions out. It's the way that people say "No, this is wrong. We must do something about it."
Also to ban teenagers gathering in a park or skateboarding is a violation of human rights. It's against freedom of movement.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Vague powers that get used intermittently are not a good idea. The powers should be more specific, perhaps about noise at certain times of day and in certain places.

And councils should have people able to act- try getting noise stopped at a strange hour by your local council.
Autistic Merit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I take it this is because of the recent influx of Roma Slovakian families to Sheffield?
inspirationhitme
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)
Vague powers that get used intermittently are not a good idea. The powers should be more specific, perhaps about noise at certain times of day and in certain places.

And councils should have people able to act- try getting noise stopped at a strange hour by your local council.
I agree with you about the noise. But you can't ban protesting, it will just make people martyrs.
Also the idea of banning teenagers from skateboarding and gathering in a public place is stupid. What is a public place? A park counts as a public place, infront of the cinema as well. What defines as not being a public place?
uktotalgamer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good. I've said it in countless threads and I'll say it again. Strikes, protests etc. Anything that disturbs anyone who is not directly involved in any way is a cowardly way out. It effects everyone. Look at the 70's. Whole country brought to a complete standstill by a few who protested. Hardly fair on anyone else is it? London underground strikes? Effects absolutely everyone travelling to work that day. Strikes and protests are cowardly. As is anti-social behaviour. The sooner these are cracked down on the sooner we can try to improve broken Britain.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (68)
21.66%
The paper was reasonable (139)
44.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (57)
18.15%
It was TERRIBLE (50)
15.92%

Watched Threads