Mechanics M2 - Variable Acceleration Question Watch

Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm uncertain of the answer for a linear, variable acceleration question for M2. The question is: A particle P moves along the x-axis. At time t seconds (where t》0) the velocity of P is (3t^2-12t+5) ms^-1 in the direction of x increasing. When t=0, P is at the origin O. Find the distance travelled by P in the interval 3《t《4. The answer in the back of the book is 48m. My teacher says that the answer is 24m. However, I'm very sure that my answer of 2.26m is correct. Could someone please try this question and tell me what they get. Thanks in advance.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 123456789012)
I'm very sure that my answer of 2.26m is correct.
Agreed.

See here
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Agreed.

See here
Thanks a lot! Very much appreciated!
a10
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Agreed.

See here
Just read this post and i get it now but i had a question, when you find the distance travelled at 3s and 4s both give the value of -12 arent you then supposed to add them together (-12 + -12) to get the total distance giving you a distance of -24m and then because it goes back again multiply by 2 hence giving you the 48m???

Also another question, why do we have to assume the turning point part, when v=0?

Just wondering xD
Rep:
?
(Original post by a10)
Just read this post and i get it now but i had a question, when you find the distance travelled at 3s and 4s both give the value of -12 arent you then supposed to add them together (-12 + -12) to get the total distance giving you a distance of -24m and then because it goes back again multiply by 2 hence giving you the 48m???

Also another question, why do we have to assume the turning point part, when v=0?

Just wondering xD
Hey there, there are two times where the particle changes direction. These two values are 3.52s and 0.42s. You obtain these values by setting v=0. We do this because at maximum displacement dx/dt=0 (therefore v=0 since v=dx/dt). I think you're confusing yourself with displacement and distance. The displacement at t=3 and t=4 is -12. However, this doesn't mean that the particle is stationary between these times - we know this because we know from earlier that the particle reverses direction between t=3 and t=4 (i.e. at 3.52s). I hope I've explained sufficiently.
a10
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 123456789012)
Hey there, there are two times where the particle changes direction. These two values are 3.52s and 0.42s. You obtain these values by setting v=0. We do this because at maximum displacement dx/dt=0 (therefore v=0 since v=dx/dt). I think you're confusing yourself with displacement and distance. The displacement at t=3 and t=4 is -12. However, this doesn't mean that the particle is stationary between these times - we know this because we know from earlier that the particle reverses direction between t=3 and t=4 (i.e. at 3.52s). I hope I've explained sufficiently.
Ahhh right, i just thought that because it said linear along the x axis so i assumed we could add up the distances? Thanks for clearing that up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.52%
The paper was reasonable (390)
45.99%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (110)
12.97%

Watched Threads