Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the typical A level grades, is there anything else that the 'typical' Oxford application usually includes? Like vocational work, music grades etc.... What does Oxford find impressive?

ReputationRep:
    Passion for your subject, demonstrated through appreciation of material beyond the scope of your A level courses.

ReputationRep:
    ^ This 100 times. Getting to understand a topic/concept that is completely out of your schools educational remit, can go a long way, not only in your application, but also in potential interviews.

ReputationRep:
    Jungle trekking through the Amazon, piloting a plane through Bermuda Triangle and basically win a gold in every olympiad there is (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Philosophy etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Summer schools work wonders.
    The UNIQ summer school gave me a real taste of law and I had lots to write about it on my personal statement

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How many marshmallows you can fit in your mouth at any one time ought to get oxford begging for you....as long as you have 5A*'s though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on doing the Way of St. James next summer for charity, would Oxford be impressed by this or is it just me stupidly suggesting something they wouldn't be concerned at all about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frannoooooooo)
    I'm planning on doing the Way of St. James next summer for charity
    Good for you! Enjoy.

would Oxford be impressed by this
    Not in any way that will make any difference to your application.

or is it just me stupidly suggesting something they wouldn't be concerned at all about?
    It's not a stupid suggestion; lots of applicants seem to think along these lines. It's just that Oxford admissions tutors, while they might or might not be interested in your doing the Camino (or learning chainsaw juggling, grade 9 nose flute, extreme Cluedo, or Olympic standard avocado defenestration), won't take any account of it when deciding whether to interview you or offer you a place.

DtS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Derek_the_Sheep)
    Good for you! Enjoy.

Not in any way that will make any difference to your application.

It's not a stupid suggestion; lots of applicants seem to think along these lines. It's just that Oxford admissions tutors, while they might or might not be interested in your doing the Camino (or learning chainsaw juggling, grade 9 nose flute, extreme Cluedo, or Olympic standard avocado defenestration), won't take any account of it when deciding whether to interview you or offer you a place.

DtS
    Thanks for your reply! I'm glad to hear this, it's just I've seen so much 'impressive' things put on applications and personal statements it came across as if it was some sort of normality or necessity.

ReputationRep:
    Got an award from an ex-royal family for charity work, not sure how much that'll help me

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.