Unsure and limited Watch

matomi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
First off, I'm in my last year at College studying the Level 3 Engineering extended diploma with predicted grades of all Distinctions. I chose this because at the time it was pretty much the only option that seemed somewhat enticing enough for me to sign up for. Fairly bad GCSE grades, at least in my opinion, hindered me greatly and pretty much took A-levels away from me.

Now Engineering is never something I've wanted to do, let alone a BTEC, but I've gritted my teeth and stuck with it and tried to get the most out of it. Like many others I'm in the process of applying to University, but I'm dumbfounded in what to do.

The career paths I was interested in while I was at School all feel unrealistic and the reality of that depresses me greatly. Engineering is out of the question. The Career paths I was interested in at School are:
-Accountancy/Actuary/investment Banker, something along this lines.
-A type of Doctor/Surgeon, not very realistic I know, but it's something that interests me.

The certainty of any them happening are fairly low, and unrealistic, but with the qualifications I have now, is there anyway I can salvage my life so far and at least work towards one of those to give me some direction because right now I'm just drifting along.

I know I may sound like I'm exagerating with me only being 18 and having my whole life ahead of me and all, but it depresses me so much having no direction, not knowing what to do...

So yeah, what do?
What could I apply for with the qualificationsI have that is relevant to what I've mentioned?
Should I even bother applying for University next year, or leave it till I've sorted myself out?

Oh yeah, sorry for excessive writing and if it is in the wrong thread.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Unfortunately, medicine (i.e. the course you need to do to become a doctor / surgeon) isn't open to you. However, subjects allied to health (nursing, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy etc. etc.) may be. I'd suggest having a look at what courses are available, and see if there's anything that piques your interest.

Numerate degree courses are still open to you too, depending on your grades. If you had 150 credits at distinction and 30 at merit, you could get into Manchester for accounting, for instance http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergra...nativeEntryReq
You could also consider a career with PwC http://www.pwc.co.uk/careers/schools/index.jhtml

Entry requirements are always listed on university websites, so have a look at those and see what they say.

Do be aware that if you haven't reached the minimum stated GCSE requirements (pretty much everywhere wants at least a C in English and Maths; some want a B) then you'll need to retake them at college.

So, your life is far from over / unsalvageable / anything dramatic like that - there are lots of options open to you. However, you do also really need to work out what you want to do. I'd suggest some work experience in the healthcare field, and ideally in the other numerate careers that you've mentioned too. Also - just to check - do you genuinely enjoy maths? If not, don't touch subjects like accounting or actuarial science with a bargepole.
matomi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks for the reply. Honestly didn't think I would receive one.

As for the Maths, I got an A at GCSE, although quite disappointing, it should suffice I hope. Maths was my favourite subject I'm school too, so that should not be a problem.

For the Accounting degree you listed at the University of Manchester, it states that you need a B at GCSE English, and although I am resitting it this year, I currently only be a C.

I've found that Manchester Met currently do Accounting and Finance and though it isn't as prestigious as the University of Manchester, it seems that with limited options, that's probably the best I can do.
So some more questions have arose:

Does a BTEC in Engineering qualify me for an Accounting degree?
Also, how important is the University you graduate from?
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by matomi)

Does a BTEC in Engineering qualify me for an Accounting degree?
Also, how important is the University you graduate from?
You need to look at the specific university's websites to check their entry requirements. Each university will be different. Some will be interested in the maths modules you have done on your BTEC, but some will want you to have done a more closely related BTEC. If in doubt, it is best to contact the admissions department to see if your qualifications are suitable for a specific degree program.

WRT to the university you graduate from, the importance of this tends to vary between different careers and different fields. In general, the classification of your degree is probably more important. However the university attended may influence some employers.

Another option that may be open to you is doing a foundation year at a university, which will then qualify you to do an accounting/finance degree. These are often useful for people changing direction between post 16 education and university, so it might be worth looking into. It will add on an extra year before you graduate, but if that means you can do something you really want to do then it's probably worth it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (535)
26.38%
The paper was reasonable (884)
43.59%
Not feeling great about that exam (395)
19.48%
It was TERRIBLE (214)
10.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise