?
Report 5 years ago
does it matter people will do it if you want to anyway
Tyrion_Lannister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I dunno how I feel about this. I don't like a set age being put on it because some 14 year olds are more mature than some 15 year olds, and some 17 year olds are immature pricks, but then at the same time, you need something in place to stop people being abused.

I think they should just look at it on a case by case basis. Obviously if two 15 year olds have sex, that's not a crime (or shouldn't be IMO). If a vulnerable 15 year old sleeps with a 45 year old, that needs loking at
01Chris02
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Say a girl has legal sex when she turns 15 and becomes pregnant. She may still be in school studying for her GCSEs; this will, arguably, have a huge impact on her concentration in school and subsequently her GCSE grades. Realistically you can't do much without good, basic GCSEs.

This already is an everyday occurance with illegal underage sex, however if the government did lower the age of consent then arguably they will be to blame if there is a surge in pregnant teenagers with a lesser education.
lovelycup7
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by 01Chris02)
Say a girl has legal sex when she turns 15 and becomes pregnant. She may still be in school studying for her GCSEs; this will, arguably, have a huge impact on her concentration in school and subsequently her GCSE grades. Realistically you can't do much without good, basic GCSEs.

This already is an everyday occurance with illegal underage sex, however if the government did lower the age of consent then arguably they will be to blame if there is a surge in pregnant teenagers with a lesser education.
That're really interesting and not a point I've really heard mentioned before. So do you argue that the age of consent should be basically once compulsory education has been completed?
Tyrion_Lannister
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

But if it's legalised contraception will be more widely available so this shouldn't increase reall
lovelycup7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
But if it's legalised contraception will be more widely available so this shouldn't increase reall
That's so true - so overall lowering the legislation should theoretically lower the number of unwanted teen pregnancies? I think it did say in the article that countries with a lower age of consent generally had a lower rate of teen pregnancies.
Tyrion_Lannister
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lovelycup7)
That's so true - so overall lowering the legislation should theoretically lower the number of unwanted teen pregnancies? I think it did say in the article that countries with a lower age of consent generally had a lower rate of teen pregnancies.
I would have thought so, at leastit makes sense personally. People would be able to go to their GP without fear of them telling their parents (they can anyway but there's a myth that you can't), contraception would be easy to get, there wouldn't be a stigma, people would be more open about it. I think sexually liberal thinking is the way forward. After all abstinence only education doesn't work.
Runninground
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just think it's a bit odd that you can have sex at 16 and possibly have a child which is a lifelong responsibility, yet you've got to wait till 18 until you can have a drink which makes you fall over and be sick once in a while...
01Chris02
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lovelycup7)
That're really interesting and not a point I've really heard mentioned before. So do you argue that the age of consent should be basically once compulsory education has been completed?
I think the age of consent should be the age at which a person has shown themselves to be mature enough to fully comprehend sex and the consequences of unsafe/unprotected sex.

I believe obtaining a basic, compulsory education is one the best and only indicators of this. I think this is why '16' is the age chosen by many countries, such as many of the states in the US.

However, there are other points to consider. If teenagers currently have sex at 15 - only a year before the current age - and if the age of consent was then lowered to 15, would this not logically suggest that more 14 year olds would have sex? It would after all only be a year?

I don't know about you but I wouldn't feel comfortable with a bunch of 14/15 year olds having sex and possibly not understanding the consequences. :P
01Chris02
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Which is a bigger cost to the taxpayer, does the tax-payer really want to pay to partially reduce the risk of more young and unwanted pregnancies?

I'm afraid whenever I break this down into pros and cons I can see considerably more cons.
Tyrion_Lannister
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Which is a bigger cost to the taxpayer, does the tax-payer really want to pay to partially reduce the risk of more young and unwanted pregnancies?

I'm afraid whenever I break this down into pros and cons I can see considerably more cons.
Of course the tax payer should fund contraception. I'm assuming you're referring to it being available for free?
thoyub
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't see what advantage there would be. So girls can be sluts at earlier ages, so what? Just makes it impossible for boys at earlier ages to get a girlfriend while currently, they have a chance.
Tyrion_Lannister
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thoyub)
I don't see what advantage there would be. So girls can be sluts at earlier ages, so what? Just makes it impossible for boys at earlier ages to get a girlfriend while currently, they have a chance.
Because every woman who has sex is a slut. Right.
username91207
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Given that most (if not all) 15-year-old boys are primarily after sex from their girlfriends, I'd argue that this makes it easier for them.
thoyub
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because every woman who has sex is a slut. Right.
You're confusing sex with sleeping around. This happens alot on here. I'm beginning to wonder if you are actually reading my posts properly.
Autistic Merit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No - people with teenage parents are much more likely to flop at school, earn less money, apply for benefits, commit crimes, die young etc.
Serano
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Keep the age of consent at 16 for anyone above 16, but create some sort of rule that would allow young people between the ages of 14 and 16 to have sex with each other, but not with anyone too much older than them to discourage exploitation.
thoyub
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by snowyowl)
Given that most (if not all) 15-year-old boys are primarily after sex from their girlfriends, I'd argue that this makes it easier for them.
True, and that has completely ruined everything for the guys who aren't obsessed with sex.
lovelycup7
Rep:
?
I believe the issue in question is a two-player game.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (535)
26.35%
The paper was reasonable (884)
43.55%
Not feeling great about that exam (397)
19.56%
It was TERRIBLE (214)
10.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise